What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rv-6A high oil temp

Latech15

Well Known Member
I have been battling high oil temps -

I replaced the vernatherm and noticed no difference. Curiously in testing, I boiled the vernatherms and the old one seemed to closes sooner and more than the new one.

I had to rebuild the rear baffle section due to some cracks in the aluminum. I replaced the old baffling right back in the same holes as the original.

I noticed that the baffling right over the entrance to the cooler has a wrinkle in it that is certainly letting some air escape out the top.

Is it possible that this is enough to knock my oil temps up by 20-30 degrees in cruise?

IMG_1937.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2035.jpeg
    IMG_2035.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
So, what are your temps? Climb out? Cruise? Ambient outside temps that day?
I note quite the wrinkle in your baffle seal right above the cooler. Are there more areas of poor sealing around the rest of your baffles?

Sorry, I thought I included the temps

In cruise today at 69° oat, is settled in at 207. That was at 5500ft and a ground temp of 89°

I’ve never seen over 195 before this started happening.

The rest of the baffles seal up quite well.

Last edited:
What engine? Recommended oil cooler? FI or Carbie (shouldn't make a difference)? New elastomer nose gear (Vans says this change might impact by reducing exit flow area)?
Leakage right above the cooler should be addressed.
What changes did you make right before the temps started climbing?

Back