What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6A Fuel Boost pump help

almarsh

Well Known Member
anyone have pics of how they routed fuel line to boost pump and from boost pump and on thru firewall any pics would be welcome thanks allen

Fuel system

My cobbled-together 6A has (perspective: sitting in pilot seat) the pump between the left gear mount and the left bottom corner of the firewall. A steel AN fitting goes thru the firewall. On the front side of the FW, a gascolator is mounted.

If you are just now mounting your pump, I suggest you place it as found in the 7/7a on the firewall. Run the fuel line from your fuel valve on the center section of the floor and cover it, along with your brake lines with the some cover used in the 7. Also mount your battery on the forward side of the firewall as well.

image094e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Very messy pic showing where the pump is located, floor cover, and fuel line heading to exit through firewall to a gascolator. No, the line does not contact the aluminum angle on the firewall. Looks like it in the pic though. I used the vertical portion of the 7/7A floor cover, but made my own actual floor cover as I thought the one supplied by Van's was a bit too flimsy.

image093.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Conduit is for wiring heading aft. Fuel line has been moved to clear the aluminum angle more since this pic was taken.

Basically build a 6 1/2A like I did! ;)

Last edited:
anyone have pics of how they routed fuel line to boost pump and from boost pump and on thru firewall any pics would be welcome thanks allen
Before the simplified RV-7 series became a reality, I mounted the boost pump in my RV-6A within the left landing gear weldment as suggested by Van's. Its plumbing is straightforward enough.....and you have no trouble hearing it.

scb0g1.jpg

Last edited:
Check out Randel Hendersion's...

project on EAA Chapter 105 (Van's Home Wing). I copied his fuel valve /boost pump solution for my -6A. His solution was to put the boost pump immediately below the fuel selector valve.

I then used the -7A firewall forward solution for the gascolator and PC680 battery location. If you need any "strange" AN-xxx style plumbing fittings, check out Earls Indy website.

Allen, (almarsh)

My response to your message could not be sent. You need to adjust your settings so you can receive private messages. To answer your question, yes, the line out of the boost pump is a fairly straight run with maybe a slight bend to account for clearances, penetrates the firewall, and terminates into the gascolator.

Back