What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6A engine selection

emil6161

I'm New Here
Can someone tell me which O-320 engine will fit an RV-6A with a conical engine mount, without requiring a sump/carb. modification. I know it has to be an A or B model but I'm totally confused about what the suffix of the appropriate engine should be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Emil6161

All conical mount O-320's ( A series or B series) will have the sump that locates the carb further aft then the dynafocal sump engines if the engine is equipped as it left the factory. The difference between the A series and the B series is the A series is 150 HP low compression and the B series is 160HP high compression. The sumps and intake manifold and carb location are the same for either.
Hope this helps.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

I guess that's what it boiles down to. There are so many variations in these engines that I'll probably just take what I can get and modify it. But if I knew which one would fit without modification I would look for one. Thanks for the response.

The -E2G model...

...also has the rear carb, but also has a solid crank and is not suitable for a CS prop

Check any -E versions carefully...

Back