What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6A Bellcrank

Zero4Zulu

Well Known Member
Working on my rebuild project and discovered that my aileron bellcranks are different than my drawings. The drawing show that the legs should be 3.375 and 3.0 with a 137 degree angle. Mine are 3.375 and 3.125 and a little straighter
angle. I guess this would give less throw of the stick to achieve aileron movement? Why would this different than the drawing? We're there revisions over time with these?

Are 'yours' new purchase from Vans or out of the RV-6a you are rebuilding?

My preview drawing 19a Rev4 suggest that the 3.0/3.375/137 numbers were that way from the initial drawing release. I'll have to dig around to find the build drawings but I am pretty sure they are the same.

It would indeed be interesting to know if there were any later revisions to the belcrank.

IIRC the bellcranks were a "cut it out yourself" item in the early -6 kits.

Sounds like it might be just a production error by the original builder.

Why not just remake the part re-using the the original bearing, which is a better part than the later substitutes?

I called Van's and they recommend replacing these bellcranks, so I ordered new ones. There were no other configurations of Bellcranks I guess. I don't know why the builder would have made them different from the plans? He's dead so I can't ask him... I have lots of questions about why he did things the way he did. I have been working at making things back to the plans for years now...

TIP: DON'T EVER BUY A OLDER RV AND ATTEMPT TO REBUILD IT!

Back