What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6A average baggage weight

wings05rv6a

HELLO;
I finished my 6a and I am doing the weight and balance on it for the FAA.
My weights are with fuel and oil and with everything that I would carry in the airplane, Other than luggage and tools.
Nose 292
Right main 498
Left main 496
My question is what is the average baggage weight that a similar 6a can carry?

Thanks
Bob W

HELLO;
I finished my 6a and I am doing the weight and balance on it for the FAA.
My weights are with fuel and oil and with everything that I would carry in the airplane, Other than luggage and tools.
Nose 292
Right main 498
Left main 496
My question is what is the average baggage weight that a similar 6a can carry?

Thanks
Bob W
You need to actually do the weight and balance calculations to know if you should placard your baggage compartment for something less than the max allowed (that number should be in your build manual). Everyone's math will be different based on engine size (weight); fixed vs. constant speed; level of interior finish, etc; thus, there really is no "average."

On Van's web site, it says 60 pounds for baggage on the -6 and -6A.

http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/rv6specs.htm

So it does. I went and checked my manual, section 14, page 2, and it says 100 lbs. I've been flying with that data submitted to my DAR for the operating limitations and placarded in my aircraft since 2008. However, it wouldn't hurt for the OP to check with Van's for a clarification before doing his own calculations. My DAR had me do a range of calculations so that I know that the minimum pilot weight is 80 lbs (single occupant) which is the only thing that will put me out of the CG box. However, with two 200 lb occupants, I can only have 30 gallons of fuel and no baggage or I will be over gross; I can lose fuel to get baggage but that would leave me making a really short flight. Fortunately, my normal passenger is much less than 200 lbs (Judith forbids me publishing it even though I think it would be bragging ;) ). My point is that you should do sample W&B secenarios to show the extremes of your loading envelope.

CG shifts aft with fuel burn

You'll need to check W&B with full fuel and low fuel. The amount of passenger and baggage weight allowed will depend upon the amount of fuel you burn. If you start with a CG toward the aft, you may need to land with a couple of hours of fuel in the tanks to avoid aft CG.

IIRC, the original data, and the data in my build manual, said 100 lbs. Van's later adjusted that to 60 lbs to reflect W/B considerations for how people were building airplanes 15 years ago - wood props and aft CG issues. The 60 isn't a structural limitation, it is a practical W/B number for a lot of the earlier airplanes.

I've had 100 lbs in the back of my wood propped airplane, but am normally limited to 75 lbs or so back there if I have a passenger.

On the way to Osh this year, a buddy and I had 75 lbs in the baggage compartment and another 30-40 lbs in the front footwells. I was limited to about 30 gallons of fuel due to gross weight limits.

If I recall correctly, a Van's employee at one of the fly-ins told me that 100lb was the structural limit for the baggage floor structure (plus g-factors, of course), but that your CG would probably limit you before you hit that weight (on a typical RV-6).

That's correct. The 100 lb limit is the structural limit.

The max limit on my -6 is 80 lbs with Ann, myself, and minimum fuel.

Although I tested up to the 80 lb limit, we never fly with more than about 35 lbs baggage.

Back