What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 Wings

jmbrwn

Well Known Member
Guys, I've got a buddy who is gonna have to do some work on his wings. He's got an RV6A and we're needing to replace one wing tank, and both outer leading edges of both wings. Are the wing & tank skins pre-punched? I'm pretty sure the ribs are NOT, but wasn't sure about the skins.

Thanks in advance.

NOTHING was prepunched on our RV-6A

Just think of it as a major building job that is going to take a lot of thought, skillful work and time. The RV-6A is worth the trouble.

Bob Axsom

Maybe, Maybe Not

The early -6 wing kits had nothing prepunched, even the lightening holes in the ribs had to be cut out. By the time I received my wing kit in 1994 it had one of the first skins that were prepunched. You had to clamp it over the ribs, align the center of the ribs with the holes in the skins and drill them. If you are going to use the existing ribs and just replace the skins, you will want to get them unpunched and back drill.

I believe all -6 wing parts are now pre-punched, but I think you can order them un-punched if you don't mind waiting... They'll have the punched stuff in stock, but may have to make the un-punched stuff. If it's just flat pieces (or leading edge skins), you might do as well just buying bare stock from ACS and cutting to size yourself.

Just to be clear, only the wing skins are prepunched on the newer -6 kits, not the ribs or spars. If the a/c being repaired is from an older kit, the prepunched skins won't line up. You can order the skins unpunched also.

You can order unpunched tank skins from John Harmon. The nose is pre-bent and the top and bottom chordwise lengths are correct for the HRII, RV-4, and RV-6. John will cut them to the spanwise length of your choice, up to 60". You can also get the rear baffles from him (he calls them tank backs).

Back