What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 steps

6 Gun

Well Known Member
just got an rv6 kit that was an A model and im reworking it to tailwheel just wanted to know if you would leave steps on or removed cant make up my mind
thanks in advance bob

just got an rv6 kit that was an A model and im reworking it to tailwheel just wanted to know if you would leave steps on or removed cant make up my mind
thanks in advance bob

After flying my -6 several years it became apparent one of my occasional passengers was struggling to get up and down the wing. I put a tape measure to the step on a friend's -6A and determined it was too long to look good on the RV-6. It also located the step too close to the ground.

I purchased a standard step and shortened it three inches. This made it proportional to the -6 and located the step halfway between the ground and wing trailing edge.

It looks good and works great. I highly recommended the shortened step for anyone who needs some help stepping up or down the wing.

steps

Take them off. The trailing edge of the wing is not that high for reasonably healthy passengers plus they create a little bit of drag. You don't want me to outrun you do you?

Guess who?

I converted my 9A to a a 9 and left the steps on. Makes it much easier to get in and out without fear of stomping on the flap. Wife likes it much better (she is only 5'1"). Helps as a point to step on when leaning over the rail working on stuff in the cockpit. I'm glad I left them on. Might be a bit different on the 6.

greg

Well in this case, you can have it both ways

I built our RV-6A with steps and they are S-o-o-o-o nice for the "A" version. However, I talked to John Huft about their drag one time and as a racer I couldn't stand it. So I drilled out the fuselage side plate mounting rivets made backup plates with platenuts and mounted them with #8 flat head screws instead of rivets, the under baggage compartment floor hardware stayed the same but I had to cut access holes and make cover plates for bolt access. When I race the steps are removed and a cover plate is installed. When we travel the steps are installed. When my wife goes to a race with me I take along a little plastic step stool I bought at Wall-mart and everything is fine. I removal of the steps gave me a 0.4 knot increase in speed.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
I built steps that come straight out (angled up slightly in line with dihedral) just behind the flap. With flaps down it's a very good height. With flaps up, they sort of blend in behind.
I saw no performance change at all.

I have pictures but I do not post pictures. If you will send me your e-mail, I will send them.
<n168tx(at)flytx.net.

Shortened step

Sam -

I reviewed your build website and did not find a photo of the step installation. Would you mind posting an external view of the step so I can get a visual of your shortened step?

Thank you.

I told my wife that our steps slowed us down by 0.4 kts and she said sorry the steps stay. We don't need the speed. Oh well I guess they stay. I cut about 3in off of mine also by measuring the distance from the ground to the wing and dividing it in half. I then put up a box to simulate the step to check the feel. I left the location as per factory. I also installed them using flush rivets. I didn't like the looks of the bumps. They are really handy when loading the airplane baggage compartment and when helping people unfamiliar with flying getting them settled in the cockpit. If you need the speed get a bigger engine.

Sam -

I reviewed your build website and did not find a photo of the step installation. Would you mind posting an external view of the step so I can get a visual of your shortened step?

Thank you.

I don't have a photo of the shortened step.

Just look at the step on a -6A and imagine it being three inches shorter. ;)

007a.jpg

Back