What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 Slider Canopy

Somewhat new at RV6 flying -? re open canopy. Concern re locked canopy on t/o & landing in the event of upset - would prefer to leave canopy open (assuming everything secure inside of course). Haven't tried it but just a thouight - any experienced RV pilots out there have same feeling and anyone have any expience with this. Much appreciate your thoughts and advice. Always great to be able to access all the experience out there.

Carry a canopy breaker

You may find it impossible to open the canopy in flight. As far as take off, I could not imagine trying it with an open canopy. Not sure you could close it once in the air either.
I carry a leatherman on my belt that has a relatively sharp nose plier I would use to break the canopy in the event I end up upside down.

My canopy was open just enough, that I couldn't lock it. With one hand, I wasn't able to push it shut. Not caring to use two hands, I just went around the pattern and landed. Of course my wife was listening on a handheld com at home, and thought there was some disaster, since I had announced I was leaving the pattern....initially.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Somewhat new at RV6 flying -? re open canopy. Concern re locked canopy on t/o & landing in the event of upset - would prefer to leave canopy open (assuming everything secure inside of course). Haven't tried it but just a thouight - any experienced RV pilots out there have same feeling and anyone have any expience with this. Much appreciate your thoughts and advice. Always great to be able to access all the experience out there.

I've never heard of anyone intentionally flying a -6, -7, or -9 with the slider open. In addition, Van's recommends against it.

My opinion is that you'll be better off in most accidents that plexiglass keeping you (your arms, head, etc) inside the airplane, and whatever's outside outside the airplane than if the canopy was open. Sure, there is a chance that a closed canopy could get stuck and prevent a quick exit - and that would be very bad in certain circumstances. But the odds are more in your favor with the canopy closed.

Back