What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 size

gtmule

Well Known Member
All,

Like some others on the board, I've been noticing a good number of partial RV6 kits on the market lately, some looks like REALLY good deals. I've had rides in an RV9 (just 2x around the pattern) and an RV7 (acro!), and don't remember being uncomfortable (at 6" 250lb). How much shorter would a 6 potentially feel, the vans site shown the 6 as being the same width as a 7/9, but do they "feel" the same? Is someone my size going to be comfortable in a 6?

Thanks,
Chuck

I'm 6' tall and can say that height shouldn't be an issue, unless you have an unusually long upper body relative to your legs. I'm only 180 pound, though. Still, if you were comfortable in a -7 or -9, you should have no trouble in a -6.

I feel no difference in my 6A. I previously had a lot of hours in a 9A. I'm 6'1". Was 255, now 235, and wouldn't mind 180... :)

L.Adamson --- RV6A

I feel no difference in my 6A. I previously had a lot of hours in a 9A. I'm 6'1". Was 255, now 235, and wouldn't mind 180... :)

L.Adamson --- RV6A

180 would be good...I'd take 220 :)

Thanks guys, that's what I THOUGHT, but wanted to make sure before I spent any more time gazing at barnstormers :)

-Chuck

I am 6'4", 195. Just bought a 6A, and have only flown in it briefly. I have Classic Aero seat cushions that have bottom wedges that can be removed; with them out, and with the seatback hinge in the furthest aft position, I have no problems with headroom, and leg room is adequate. My only real issue is feeling slightly tight on elbow room on the left side. In other words, your height shouldn't be a big problem. Not sure about "width" lol.

To reprise this, I'm looking at an early RV6 with manual flaps and the center panel with the throttle and mixture controls there. Will that be noticeably tighter than a 7/9 fuse?

To reprise this, I'm looking at an early RV6 with manual flaps and the center panel with the throttle and mixture controls there. Will that be noticeably tighter than a 7/9 fuse?

Probably not, since the width didn't change. There are/were minor changes in headroom and cabin length, but I doubt they would come into play for you. Next time you're up towards Atlanta, I'd be glad to take you up in my -6.

One thought would be to get rid of the center console that was in the -6 plans and relocate the throttle and mixture up to the main panel or to the left side of the cockpit. Getting rid of that center divider really opens things up.

Just FYI, my best friend is 6'4, 250+ and we've been comfortable in my -6, even after spending as much as 7 hours in the cockpit in one day.

Last edited:
I'll have to do that next time I go up to my dad's in N. GA, or Atlanta in general. I wasn't sure if the center console could be removed without beefing anything else up. I'm not really seriously looking, but if the right deal came along, I might be a buyer.... Kyle, check your PM.

Probably not, since the width didn't change. There are/were minor changes in headroom and cabin length, but I doubt they would come into play for you. Next time you're up towards Atlanta, I'd be glad to take you up in my -6.

One thought would be to get rid of the center console that was in the -6 plans and relocate the throttle and mixture up to the main panel or to the left side of the cockpit. Getting rid of that center divider really opens things up.

Just FYI, my best friend is 6'4, 250+ and we've been comfortable in my -6, even after spending as much as 7 hours in the cockpit in one day.

Did my transition training in an rv6a with manual flaps. The flap handle was in the way, hard to use and took quite a bit of force to pull full flaps. Partially as a result of that experience, my rv6a has electric flaps. Big difference! If your concerned about space in the cockpit, you definitely want electric flaps!

I've got a fair amount of time flying cubs. I like the manual flap handle. But, i'm also really glad that I went with electric flaps on my rv6a.

my $0.02

The flap handle was in the way, hard to use and took quite a bit of force to pull full flaps.
If it takes a lot of force to put flaps on, you're doing it wrong. In my -6, I apply the first notch of flap at 110mph on downwind, second notch at 95 on base, and third notch at 80 on final (I have 10-20-30-40 degree notches). The pull for each notch is easy.

YEP! I agree!

If it takes a lot of force to put flaps on, you're doing it wrong. In my -6, I apply the first notch of flap at 110mph on downwind, second notch at 95 on base, and third notch at 80 on final (I have 10-20-30-40 degree notches). The pull for each notch is easy.

I have 0, 13, 26, & 39?. Never had a problem pulling flaps.
And I cut my flap handle off several inches so it would go down to the floor. Still have plenty of leverage. Just don't try to pull full flaps at 100 mph. 13? at 110, rest as needed.

And the forth notch?

Can you compare the force to another aeroplane, Cessna 180 for instance or more like a Super Cub?

Any other tips on manual flaps? Is the shortened handle the way to go?

All comments appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew.

Back