What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 shoulder harness cable attach bolt

William

Well Known Member
anyone know the plan number that tells what bolt/nut is used to attach the shoulder harness cable to the shoulder harness cable attach plate. I believe the cable should swivel so therefore would require a castellated nut and a an4-x drilled shank, but I've been told that the plans call for a an4-xa bolt and nylon lock nut indicating to me that this will be bolted firmly in place not allowing the cable to swivel into position. thanks everyone

I don't have a bolt gauge in front of me, but I used the biggest bolt that would fit the cable and seat belt, along with a castellated nut and cotter pin. I tightened it just enough to let it swivel slightly :D Rosie

I dont know about the 6, but my 10 used a bushing inside the belt mounting tab for the rotation, and the bolt held the bushing tight with a lock nut.

I wonder if you may have the same setup?

There should be no swivel function needed at the seat belt cable/cable anchor point on the longerons. The cable position is restrained by the slot it fits through in the rear baggage bulkhead.

The RV-6 plans do seem to miss the bolt call out, but the system is identical to the RV-7 and those plans simply call for a AN4-7A bolt and an AN365 nut on DWG 26.

Could you be possibly referring to the other end of the cable where it meets the actual shoulder harness?

I don't have a bolt gauge in front of me, but I used the biggest bolt that would fit the cable and seat belt, along with a castellated nut and cotter pin. I tightened it just enough to let it swivel slightly :D Rosie

Thanks Rosie, that's how I will bolt the shoulder harness to the shoulder harness cable.

Bill

I dont know about the 6, but my 10 used a bushing inside the belt mounting tab for the rotation, and the bolt held the bushing tight with a lock nut.

I wonder if you may have the same setup?

Hi Mike, thanks for the response. Unfortunately there is no room for a bushing to be added without stepping down to a an3 bolt; I don't feel safe doing that.

Thanks
Bill

There should be no swivel function needed at the seat belt cable/cable anchor point on the longerons. The cable position is restrained by the slot it fits through in the rear baggage bulkhead.

The RV-6 plans do seem to miss the bolt call out, but the system is identical to the RV-7 and those plans simply call for a AN4-7A bolt and an AN365 nut on DWG 26.

Could you be possibly referring to the other end of the cable where it meets the actual shoulder harness?

Hi Gil thanks for the response. An4-7a it is then. :)

Thanks
Bill

Hi Mike, thanks for the response. Unfortunately there is no room for a bushing to be added without stepping down to a an3 bolt; I don't feel safe doing that.

Thanks
Bill

Yep, now that I think more about it, the bushings were where the lap belt mounted to the fuse----------------I think. Tired old brain cells :(

Back