What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 / RV-7 Parts

liteplane

Well Known Member
What parts of an RV 7 can be used to expedite the build the fuse of an RV 6 ? firewall ?turtledeck skins? boot lid ? inst panel ? etc.

I doubt there's much you could use. While similar, the -7 was re-engineered for the CNC process and the work you would have to do to mate match-drilled -7 parts to an in-progress -6 fuselage would probably be the opposite of 'expedite'.

There is one exception. I would urge -6 builders who have not gotten so far to invest in the -7 parts for the fuel selector enclosure forward to the firewall, especially if you are going with fuel injection and the electric pump. The -6 uses the -7 FWF package (with a couple of slight changes) and the cover for the electric fuel pump and filter is meant to mate the -7 structure. It does not match up with the -6 fuel selector structure. On top of that, the -7 parts make for a nice enclosure all the way to the firewall.

pATRICK,

Would you please re-state your recommendation regarding the fuel selector for the -7 used on the -6? I just could make out what it was you are trying to say. I got the impression that although you could use the -7 fuel selector on the -6, it would still be a pain in the main to fit it correctly.

I'm sure I'm missing your point.

Norse (Fiddy-One)
RV-6

Sometimes I think English is my second language... ;)

The issue is not the selector itself (I used the Van's supplied one rather than the Andair) but the structure around the selector. In the -6 that consists of a couple of vertical pieces (sorry, I don't have the plans at the house so I can't give the callouts) that support the fuel selector valve plate. They angle inboard somewhat and are bolted to the spar. On the -7, there are the F-783B-R\L that get riveted to the center section, are vertical, and ultimately mate with F-983C Fuel Valve Cover which, in turn, supports the fuel selector valve plate. They can be easily modified to fit in the -6 and make a nice, enclosed fuel valve installation, as opposed to the open one created by using the -6 parts. Better still, you can use RV-7 Drawing 34 to get the other parts forward to the firewall to enclose the fuel line out to the firewall; these should fit the -6 presuming you have used Van's firewall recess and not a steel bowl recess. This also includes an enclosure and mount for a boost pump on the firewall (if you are not using injection). None of this is a pain to fit (sorry I left this impression) if you do it while the fuselage is still a canoe. Otherwise, you will be diving under the panel. The advantage for non-fuel injected installations is the enclosed run from selector to firewall.

The real advantage is for the fuel injected installations using Van's FWF kit. The pump/filter cover was designed to mate with the -7 parts (vertical), not the -6 parts (tilted inboard). If you've used the -7 parts to begin with, the pump and cover installation is fairly simple. Otherwise you will need to change to the -7 selector mounting parts or kludge a cover to fit the -6 selector mount. I did the latter and it was not pretty; I may yet change my installation.

By the way, I mention RV-7 Drawing 34 but the F-783Bs are on Drawing 23 only, which you don't really need because the structure is so different from the -6. On 34 they are shown beneath the F-782A cover plates, which you should omit on the -6. I hope this wordier description hasn't caused more confusion. The best advice I can give to -6 builders considering this is to get a copy of Drawing 34 and, if you are going fuel injected, the drawing for the pump installation kit from Van's and compare them to the RV-6 plans. It should be fairly easy to see how to make it work.

Last edited:
On my 6A

most of the drawings after a certain point are all for the 7... So it is probably more compatible than people realize.

Hans

RV-6 / Rv-7 Parts

Patrick,

Thanks for the explanation. I now have the picture and sending off from Rv-7 Drawing 34.

Thanks again,

Fiddy-One

Back