What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6/RV-6A Outboard seat rib questions

chriscencula

I've noticed the plans show that the outboard most seat rib is 'curved' so it appears to follow a curve similar to the armrest & longeron...

Since the top flanges on the seat ribs are 'straight sections', they will need to be fluted as well in order for the rib to conform to the 'longeron curve'...

Didn't see this in looking at the pictures in other builder's web sites; is this something that everyone has done? Some have & some didn't?

Also, it appears that the 'height' of the seat rib at the trailing end where it mates to the bottom of F605 is too short - if the rib is aligned for smooth skin, then the seat pan will not rest on the rib here - small distance, maybe ~0.125", but still not as good of a match as the other ribs?

Did anyone else observe this?

Thanks,
Chris

I fluted...............

I've noticed the plans show that the outboard most seat rib is 'curved' so it appears to follow a curve similar to the armrest & longeron...

Since the top flanges on the seat ribs are 'straight sections', they will need to be fluted as well in order for the rib to conform to the 'longeron curve'...

Didn't see this in looking at the pictures in other builder's web sites; is this something that everyone has done? Some have & some didn't?

Also, it appears that the 'height' of the seat rib at the trailing end where it mates to the bottom of F605 is too short - if the rib is aligned for smooth skin, then the seat pan will not rest on the rib here - small distance, maybe ~0.125", but still not as good of a match as the other ribs?

Thanks,
Chris

I fluted so the side skin would conform and match the rest of the profile. I did not see instructions for this it just looked right.
Oh-well I will know when I try to put my wings on!

Thanks,
Chris

I had to use a spacer of about 1/8 inch to get the seat pan to sit flat across all of the seat ribs.

GAHco, That area is flat. But it won't matter if you fluted the flange. The wing won' care.

If the seat pan does not lay on the top flange (mine didn't) I had a gap. I filled the gap with a strip of alum about 1 1/4" wide riveted to the flange. Then moved the pan screws out away from the wall. Made it much easier to remove during inspection.

Back