What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 rudder

Bartman

Well Known Member
I friend has a older 6 that the rudder got damaged, the date on the rudder plans is 11-10-86 he did not build the plane and would like a new rudder. My queston is, could I use a pre punched skin, ribs, stiffeners etc ? I think I would have to use a non pre punched vertical spar and match drill the rod end holes using the old spar as a pattern. I think I would have to do this so the rod end bearings would match up with the with the vertical stabilizer ....any one have any comments or suggestions? Thanks

You are correct on needing to match drill the rod end bearing holes. Correct alignment will be the biggest challenge.

I have built both RV-6 and RV-8 rudders. I don't think that prepunched skins are available for the R-6 and from what I recall I believe that the RV-7 rudder won't fit.

You might be able to use the new pre-punched stiffners, which would be helpful.

These questions are worth a call to Van's.

Good luck.

They do not have any prepunched parts for the rudder on the 6. I believe you can still get the skins and ribs you would need from Van's.
If the spar is damaged beyond repair you probably just need to build a new rudder. It might be easier to do that anyway.
I see unstarted 6 empenage kits for sale all the time and even finished rudders. However, as you noted, lining up the rod end bearings on a finished rudder to existing HS is hit and miss as the brackets where hand measured and drilled.

prepunched rudder skin

The rudder skin in my RV-6 kit (1997) was prepunched for everything but the stiffeners:

rudder-3.jpg

I don't know if this skin is still available from Vans since they no longer sell RV-6 emp kits. Definitely worth calling the mother ship.

Last edited:
The rudder skin in my RV-6 kit (1987) was prepunched for everything but the stiffeners:

rudder-3.jpg

I don't know if this skin is still available from Vans since they no longer sell RV-6 emp kits. Definitely worth calling the mother ship.
[Should have been 1997; S. Buchanan]

I stand corrected. I swear mine was not but it was the same year as yours Sam, so it must have been.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine was of 1991 vintage and was definitely not prepunched. (One of the reasons I never progressed past the empenange stage on my 6.)

You can get the parts....

I purchased all of the rudder parts (not pre- punched) from vans and matched them up to my existing vertical stab. Just give vans a call and they will help you.

I just replaced mine.

I called Vans to see if a 4 would work on my 6 as I had a line on one and was told "It depends". The physical dimensions of the 4 and 6 are the same, but they mentioned the hand drilling of the rod ends. Having said that, however, they also stated that this was a place in the build that it easier to follow the measurements on the plans EXACTLY in order to make things work and as such, if people did, the chances are pretty good that another rudder would line up. I ended up getting one from Bob Mills (rvmills) in Reno (thanks again!) and it fit great. I believe the other rudder is still available if you interested, though probably not at the same price I got my from Bob -- FREE -- well, the price of dinner for him and his lovely family, but I would have done that anyway. What a great guy!

Back