What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 project. Can i still get everything i need?

brandon67e

I'm New Here
I found a good deal on a RV6 close to home. It is being sold the the wife of a guy that has passed away. The wings are about done, tail is done, and the fuse is in the jig, just started. Can i easily get everything i need for this, or am i going to spend a ton of time digging to find help and pieces for this. I dont have any building experiance, but am a sheet metal worker by trade. I know the 7 is prepunched, but is this too much to take on? The price is right, but i would like to have someone look at it that knows what they are looking at. there is a guy here that i think would do it, but what kind of problems are there with transporting it in the jig without disturbing it. will i have a ton of time catching up trying to figure out where he let off? Thanks in advance

You should have no problem as long as the fuselage kit is complete and the workmanship is good enough. If you need to replace anything, the -7 parts should work fine and you can even request them not to be pre-punched if needed. The -7 finishing kit will work fine the the -6 kit.

If you are worried, just have a qualified builder look at the project before spending the time, effort and money.

Most RV-7 sheet metal parts are not usable on an RV-6 (though a few are), but the Wing, Fuselage, and Finish kits for the RV-6 are still available. Check HERE

Go through it...

I found a good deal on a RV6 close to home. It is being sold the the wife of a guy that has passed away. The wings are about done, tail is done, and the fuse is in the jig, just started. Can i easily get everything i need for this, or am i going to spend a ton of time digging to find help and pieces for this. I dont have any building experiance, but am a sheet metal worker by trade. I know the 7 is prepunched, but is this too much to take on? The price is right, but i would like to have someone look at it that knows what they are looking at. there is a guy here that i think would do it, but what kind of problems are there with transporting it in the jig without disturbing it. will i have a ton of time catching up trying to figure out where he let off? Thanks in advance

The best advice I ever received is to find a RV builder close to you and go through the project- There is some inventory time to do on every project but you should at least do a quick one before buying. - The big thing is build quality. Also every part made on the 6 is in Vans inventory- The emenage is simply in pieces rather than a kit. The list:
http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/webstore.cgi

RV6 Parts

I am building an RV6 and have had no trouble getting parts from Vans. I would call Vans and ask them how long they intend to support the RV6 line.

When ever I order a "do over" part they ship right away, telling me they have the parts in stock and do not need to special order from their vendor.

All the parts you need are still available, not problem there. Make sure you inventory the kit and have another builder inspect the workmanship!!

The only major downside of the RV-6 is the wing attach method. Nothing to do with strength. The RV-7 wings bolt to the center section while the -6 wings are the center section. In order to finish your interior plumbing and wiring on the -6, the wings have to be installed while on the -7 they do not. This is only an issue if your workspace is limited.

The only major downside of the RV-6 is the wing attach method. Nothing to do with strength. The RV-7 wings bolt to the center section while the -6 wings are the center section. In order to finish your interior plumbing and wiring on the -6, the wings have to be installed while on the -7 they do not. This is only an issue if your workspace is limited.

You can cut slots from the existing holes, to the edge of the spar web. It's been a common practice. That allows wires, etc. to be in place.

Addition: And round the edges a bit

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Last edited:
You can cut slots from the existing holes, to the edge of the spar. It's been a common practice. That allows wires, etc. to be in place.

Addition: And round the edges a bit

L.Adamson --- RV6A

..and Van has a sketch somewhere on the locations for two large (around 3/4 inch) holes near the center top of the spar bulkhead. The location is above and clear of the spars.

Back