What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 Panel Blank

java

Well Known Member
So, I couldn't resist the latest G3X rebate, and now need to start working on panel 2.0.

I ordered a fresh panel blank from Van's (F-603), and got an email back that they don't supply them anymore, but I can buy the 7 blank which will need some modification. Before I jump, my question to the brain trust is how much mod are we talking here? Is it better to start with a 7 blank, or sheet? Any tips before I get going?

Thanks in advance.

Call them back and ask if they have the RV6 OVSZ panel. It's a square sheet pre bent at the bottom. You could just trace your existing panel onto that.

If you have access to a CAD system, I have a DXF file for an RV-6 panel. I imported it into Solidworks and am modelling my panel for an upgrade someday. With the DXF file, almost any sheet metal shop could make you a blank and fold the bottom flange for you.

Bump...

Thanks for the advice guys. Steve - I'd like to hear if the 7 panel is even easier. Rob - no access to CAD (though if I tried hard enough I could probably find one).

Others... surely someone has rebuilt a six panel in the not-to-distant past? Louise/Paul... what did you do for Mikey a few years ago?

F-6103 OVSZ OVSZ PANEL 13X42"

Runs about $60 and works with either Slider or Tip-Up on the RV-6/7/9...

Caution

JV,
FWIW, I bought into that "7 fits on a 6" song a half a dozen times from Vans,
and except for a couple of instances, it has been nothing but pain and misery, and extra cost to try to modify a 7 part.

I have not worked with a 7 panel but I have watched another builder modify his. I'm pretty sure the 7 panel is different.

If I were going to start fresh with my 6, I would buy the oversize blank panel and cut it to the depth that I wanted. All you really need is a blank aluminum sheet with a 90 degree bend in the bottom and you can use the detailed 6 plans to do the top part. If you are going to do the CAD/CNC business, make all the cuts before trimming and fitting the top.

I have a stock 6 panel and will probably have to make and add Z strips to the bottom to accomodate everything.

Dave A.
6A build

6A Panel

I am in the process of building a new 6A panel and had all kinds of problems trying to do a CAD panel. There is a lot of variance in the fit on different 6's.
If you have a nice fitting panel now, I would suggest useing it as a template for the new panel. I ended up using a piece of poster paper to make a pattern and it is not as good a fit as I would like. Bob.

You can also use the old panel as a frame for the new panel. Make the new panel in sections of flat aluminum. I made mine into five panel sections: left, radio stack, right, and right and left "bites" in the corners (one holds the intercom and one the cabin heat control cable). I think I left about 5/8" or more along the edges an an inch or so for the vertical rails (since two panels attach to them). Screw the frame on with flat head screws and put nutplates on it to attach the flat panels.

This really worked well for me because I made multiple panel blanks for each section and ended up using most. I re-did my panel three times before I flew (steam gauges, then glass, then bigger glass). It's also easy to make a new panel blank since you just trace the old one on a new sheet.

dscn0064g.jpg

1001983h.jpg

RV-6 Panel Available

I was speaking to Vans yesterday, and with this thread in mind I happened to mention that "they don't sell RV-6 panel blanks anymore".

"Oh", he said, "I can see them from here."

I ordered one. It appears that Vans sells RV-6 instrument panel blanks.

Rob

Back