What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 HOW TO: Wing wiring for Heated Pitot & AOA tube

Bad Sheila

:eek: How do I run wing wiring for Heated Pitot & an AOA tube to my Dynon heated pitot?

Any help would be appreciated

If you already have conduit in the wing, tie a string to a cotton ball and suck it thru with a shop vac... then tie your wires on the end of the string and pull them.

Heater Unit

Where have you put the sender unit for the heater. They say as close as possible but I have had to put the pitot inside the wing inspection plate. I have to put it in the wing-tip or the fuselage. where have you got yours?:)

My example

In this first photo you can see inside the outermost inspection port of my -8 wing (looking in and aft as it sits in the cradle). I mounted the controller here on small standoffs made from aluminum tube to clear the "bump" on the rib.

dsc00888vf.jpg

In the second image you can see how I mounted the pitot assembly, one bay outside the inspection access hole. This location has it's pluses and minuses... with it here the tie-down rope or chain "might" interfere if you are not careful. I ran the tubing for the pressure and AOA thru the pre-punched holes in all the ribs. I ran the wiring thru a third row of holes, although I had to open up the holes in the innermost four ribs. Don't think I have a pic of that, although I can tell you I used a very long drill bit to do so.

Hope this helps.
Don

dsc00887t.jpg

Pitot Wiring

:D Don,
Thanks for photos. Did you use conduit for the tubing and why a 3rd hole for the wiring?

Dredging up the memory cells

If I recall correctly, there are three holes in each rib just aft of the spar (don't know if yours differs). Only one hole was large enough for a bushing. I put bushings in the center large hole and ran wire thru there. I did install conduit for other wiring in the aft portion of the wing.

When I ran the Pitot and AOA tubes I decided to drill out the other two holes and also install snap bushing. You can probably see them in my photo. Rather than go thru conduit in the lightening holes, I opted to spend a little time and make use of those holes.

It can be done with the right drill (an angle adapter helped) and a long bit for the closely spaced ribs near the wing root.

Have fun.

Don

Back