What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 Fuselage Assembly Tips

WingsOnWheels

Well Known Member
I was sending an e-mail to a fellow builder listing the things to watch out for on while assembling the RV-6(A) fuselage. I figured that I might as well post the list and maintain it as a go through the build as a benefit to others. Some of these items may have been obvious to everyone but me, but it can?t hurt to put it out there. Feel free to add to this list.

Here is what I will call "Installment One" of my list of things to watch out for. These are just off the top of my head, so I am certain I will think of more later. These are in no particular order.

1) F-604: The front (small) portion of the spar carry-though that bolts to the front of the wing will interfere with countersinking and riveting the F-616 L/R seat ribs. If you rivet the side plates to the front and rear parts of the bulkhead, then you will later have to drill these out to rivet the seat ribs. Not a big deal unless you already riveted the F-604 to the main longeron. The problem is that you need to hold the F-604 in place while you fit and make the skin. You can't use clecos since they will prevent the skin from laying flat. I suggest you fit and drill everything and then rivet the channel piece to the longeron, but leave the F-604 clecoed to the channel piece. See Dwg 32 section AA.

2) When assembling the F-605 bulkhead, it would appear that drawing 26 shows everything that shares the rivets that attach the bar stock to the bulkhead. This is not correct. Drawing 26 does not depict the F-626 L/R baggage ribs. If you space the rivets evenly based solely on the info in Dwg 26 you will have a problem. Take a look at drawing 33 (Cabin sec top view) before you lay out the rivet patterns. Also keep in mind that dwg 26 depicts both the front and rear of the bulkhead on the same drawing (half and half). Make absolute certain you are on the correct side before you drill the big hole for the trim cable. You can also wait until the bulkhead is in the jig before you drill the trim hole, just be sure to plan your rivet pattern on the doubler for the hole.

3) When positioning the Baggage ribs flush with the bottom of the F-606 I used a length of angle resting on the bottom (well, top as you are working since everything is upside-down) of F-605 and F-606 I clamped the angle to the bulkheads and to the baggage rib. However, you need to lay strip of 0.025 sheet on top of F-606 so that the baggage ribs sit 0.025" proud of the F-606 bulkhead. The tailcone bottom skin will sit on the flange of F-606 and then the cabin bottom skin will rest on top of that. If you place the baggage ribs even with F-606 then the skin will have to bend slightly as it transitions over the joint. This isn't a big deal, but doesn't take any special effort to do right.

4) This issue didn't affect me, but is something a read about and figured I would warn you: There is a known problem with two of the baggage ribs in the older kits (I have a newer fuselage kit). From what I read, two of the ribs are a bit shorter than they need to be and as a result will require that you add a spacer or rivet on an extension. I can't remember which ribs are the issues, but just keep this in mind when fitting the baggage ribs between F-605 and F-606

5) If you have the overhead rudder pedals and if you are adding the firewall recess to clear a rear oil filter or governor, do not rivet it in place yet. The center support for the rudder pedal assembly rivets to one of the vertical angles on the firewall and you won't have access after the recess is in place. However, it is good to have the recess fitted drilled, dimpled, ect before you move forward with mounting the firewall on the jig.

That is it for the moment. There are more and I will type those up in a bit, but this is a start.

5) If you have the overhead rudder pedals and if you are adding the firewall recess to clear a rear oil filter or governor, do not rivet it in place yet. The center support for the rudder pedal assembly rivets to one of the vertical angles on the firewall and you won't have access after the recess is in place. However, it is good to have the recess fitted drilled, dimpled, ect before you move forward with mounting the firewall on the jig.

This one got me! I had to look 6 times before I realized the recess was in the way. DOH...I hate drilling out rivets - especially these on the firewall.

Thanks for all that info...especially the one about F-604 - I could see that being a real nightmare to backtrack on. I'm going to start riveting the skeleton Monday - this tip came just at the right time!

Do you have the parts list/packing list for an RV-6(A) Fuselage Kit. I may be looking at one to buy & want to make sure I know what I'm looking at.

Thx,
bc

Do you have the parts list/packing list for an RV-6(A) Fuselage Kit. I may be looking at one to buy & want to make sure I know what I'm looking at.

Thx,
bc

I do have the packing list. PM me your e-mail address and I will scan and e-mail it to you tomorrow evening.

Back