What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 Fuel Selector

Geeman

Well Known Member
I recently purchased an RV-6 with about 200 hours with the original vans fuel selector. It seems a little stiff to me and does not have a good click or stop to know you are in the open position on either tank. I have swithed tanks in flight about 8 or 10 times and have not had any problems, but does not give me a warm fuzzy. Is there any maintance that can be done to it. Maybe some bushings or oring to replace. I have the old slyle lever. I was thinking about getting the new style red one, but I doubt that is going to help. Input is appreciated.

fuel selector

Geeman,
Purchased a flying 6, 3 years ago with a Vans F/S. Changing the fuel tank the slector valve does not click in, just turn it to the stop.
My partner and I have put about 150 hrs on it and there have been no problems with the selector. I know what you saying though, felt the same way the first couple of times switching tanks.
Enjoy your 6 !
firemanken

Mine isn't stiff, but otherwise performs just like yours. Just be sure you know whether the handle points to the tank in use or the pointer... A few people have found out the hard way that their valve is backwards to what they were expecting.

I would removed and inspect/clean the valve, there might be some gunk in there causing it to bind. If you are that concerned, you can buy a new valve for around $30.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/hbshutoff.php

The Red pointer is a worthwhile mod and makes the selected position much more clear.

FP03052012A0005F.jpg

I have two of them

They have been stiff since I installed them new. I have 744 hours on them and I marked my panel to show the correct (and logical) positions for OFF, Left Main Tank, Tip Tanks, Left Tip Tank, Right Tip Tank and Right Main Tank. I always focus on positing the valves correctly. I think the stiffness actually makes me focus a little harder. The stiffness has not gotten worse and there has been no binding between positions.

Bob Axsom

Back