What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 Engine Mount Bolt Size?

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
A quick question for anyone who has a set of RV-6 plans handy (we're at OSH, and want to buy a couple of bolts...):

Can anyone tell us the size of the lower engine-mount-to-fuselage bolts (the corner bolts)?

Paul

Sure. The lower two corners are AN6-30. The upper two and lower inboard two are AN6-24. Ref dwg 50 1987. You didn't know I've been an RVer that long did you?

I know you are looking for a 6 bolt but the only plan I have handy is the 6A:

6X of:
AN6-24 bolt
AN960-616 washers as required
AN310-6 nut
MS24565-208 5/62x1/2 cotter pins

Thanks guys - figured I'd get a quick answer! Do I have a tie-breaker? (knowing that Scott's figures are for the airplane with the little wheel on the appropriate end...) I don't keep a large assortment of AN6 on hand...

We want to do a little washer reinforcement on the heads, so I will probably pick one size longer to have on hand in case I can't make the current ones fit properly - can't remember right now (without taking the cowl off) what the current washer count is.

Paul

They are both right. The 6 has longer bolts to get by the landing gear mounts; the rest are appropriate for the engine. The 6A, having the gear mounts in the proper location at the wing spar ;), has all 6 bolts the correct -24 length.:p If you're buying for Mikey, you want 6-30s in the lower corner. Couldn't they tell you at the Vans tent?

Yes, Scott is right.
My data from a print marked RV6 but was obviously an RV6A mount.
The bottom bolts in the 6 mount must be longer for good reason.

Back