What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 EMPTY WEIGHTS

rthalden

I'm New Here
I’m doing some preliminary research and thinking about eventually purchasing an RV-6. Van’s lists 965 in the specs, but I’m guessing that’s sprinkled with a little bit of pixie dust to get there? 😉 Is that a realistic number?

What are some typical empty weights you guys have for yours. Thanks!

I’m doing some preliminary research and thinking about eventually purchasing an RV-6. Van’s lists 965 in the specs, but I’m guessing that’s sprinkled with a little bit of pixie dust to get there? 😉 Is that a realistic number?

All depends on engine/prop combo, Avionics, and interior.

Mine has a IO-320 with metal fixed pitch, basic interior (no carpet or side panels), and Garmin glass cockpit and its right around 1070 lbs.

I just sold my 6 , 955lbs with a Hartzell CS
I tried real hard to keep it light during the rebuild, no interior, earth X battery, B&C SD-8 Alt, Skytec Starter, Composite gas tanks.

When Van designed the RV-6, his philosophy was light weight. He recommended minimum instrumentation and avionics and wood prop. His original weight was accurate. It was designed as a day, VFR sport plane with fantastic performance.

VERY few people put in autopilots. No leather interiors, no nose wheels, etc. Before paint, my -6 weighted 996 lbs. (1014 after paint). O-320, Warnke prop, 1 com.

You can't REALLY appreciate RV performance until you've flown one this light.

IO 360, CS, Professional Paint, mostly full interior.
Me, wife, full fuel, 50# of baggage and I’m at gross.
It flies “well”, stable, at gross weight as the engine and prop keep cg’s forward. My W&B is a chart. There are no configurations, within reason, under gross that it isn’t within CG limits.

In a 6 the biggest area for weight savings is FWF. Lighter 6’s tend to be more cg aft which can limit utility. They also tend to be lighter in the controls, which starts to split hairs as most RV’s are relatively light on the controls including mine.

So, there are trade offs and other things to consider than just empty weight.

If I was looking for a 6, I would make a list of must haves and then refine your research to those that fit. Watch CG’s and assume GW as Vans published number, not the builders fudging up to be under gross when fully loaded. (Opinion)

Lastly, mine was weighed almost 20 years ago. I should re-weigh it as there seems to be a phenomenon of weight “creep”. Most weigh more than when empty weight was established for some reason.

It takes a lot of effort to build a 6 less than 1000lb empty, many didn't realise how much effort when the build started and end up in the 1020 to 1050 range. As others have said a light airplane is so worthwhile and so rewarding to fly. It is usually possible to save some weight from an already flying airplane, it just takes time and costs a few $$$. Recently I got mine down to 1040lb from quite a bit more. I would set an upper limit, say 1050lb, if you can get one substantially less than that then its a bonus. If the limit is set too low it will take a very long time to find an airplane that light.

If you do a search you will find many weight listed of RV-6s.

Yes it's hard to get it below 1,000 lbs. My RV6 is at 1079 lbs, but some things have gotten lighter since it was built, like prop and avionics. 1079 seemsy good considering I have full leather interior, wingtip aux fuel tanks, dual batteries, and other assorted goodies. IO-360 (195 hp).

I'm fairly certain I can appreciate the performance even at that weight.

--Ron

Mine is 1030lbs with a normal (not earthx) battery, a 10 pound flywheel weight, carpet, and an autopilot. O-320/wooden prop.

I put a bit of effort into getting mine down in weight but it still rolled out at 1116 lbs. That's with full paint (and everything was primed inside and out), leather seats and a light interior, but an IO-360 and Sensenich metal prop. While slightly heavier than I'd hoped my empty weight C of G is quite a long way forward so even when loaded I get very little movement aft as fuel burns off.

Having flown in a number of other RV's I can attest to how much better they are when built light, as Mel states above - it's noticeable. That said, I'm still very happy with my somewhat porky RV-6, and as my wife an I have a combined weight of only 300 lbs it means we can take full fuel and full baggage without exceeding the 1650 lbs MAUW. So for us it remains an excellent cross-country machine and a joy to operate.

My Six-X (RV6 fuse, RV4 wings and tail) came in at 975 lbs after paint. 0-360, Catto 2 blade, very basic panel. I paid a lot of attention to weight detail after building g my Four. It weighed 925 sans paint, very basic panel, 0-320ND/Sterba wood prop, motorcycle battery, airboat small alt and starter. Later after paint, a hotrod 170hp 0320WD and a few instruments it too came in at 975 also. I used odyssey PC625, Catto 2 blade and no interior upholstery, minimal panel on both airplanes 20+ yrs ago, wouldn’t change a thing today.

The lighter they are the better they fly!
V/R
Smokey

RV-6A
Tip-up canopy
Single stage (no clear coat) polyurethane paint (added just over 12 lbs to empty weight)
RV-8 vertical stab and rudder
RV-7 style elevators (slightly lighter counterweights)
L & R steps
Comfortable seats from DJ at Cleveland, but no heavy leather or lofts of other interior panels / add-ons.
Single screen EFIS (AFS 5600) w 2 axis autopilot, single Dynon COM, xponder, ADSB in/out, and 3 back-up steam gauges
Old school Whelen strobes / nav. lights
Dual, Fly-LED triple beam landing lights
O-360 and Sensenich fixed pitch
Odyssey 680 battery mounted on fwd side of firewall

1067 lbs

Probably starting to sound like an echo..... the lighter they are the better they fly.
I feel mine is a good compromise between being extremely stripped down and basic, vs heavily (did you see what I did there ;)) equipped with extras.

One problem with asking people about empty weight is that a lot of them are wrong.
Not on purpose, but because of how the weighing was done, what scales (accuracy?) were used, or how the scales were used.
I have run across a lot of RV's that I new the weight was wrong. After doing a re-weigh, a lot of them were found to be heavier, even though the owner / builder was convinced it was done correctly the first time

Mine is 1033lb with a Whirlwind 300 CS prop, O320, G3X and AP. No creature comforts in the cabin except leather seats and lightweight carpet on the floor.

I put a bit of effort into getting mine down in weight but it still rolled out at 1116 lbs. That's with full paint (and everything was primed inside and out), leather seats and a light interior, but an IO-360 and Sensenich metal prop. While slightly heavier than I'd hoped my empty weight C of G is quite a long way forward so even when loaded I get very little movement aft as fuel burns off.

Having flown in a number of other RV's I can attest to how much better they are when built light, as Mel states above - it's noticeable. That said, I'm still very happy with my somewhat porky RV-6, and as my wife an I have a combined weight of only 300 lbs it means we can take full fuel and full baggage without exceeding the 1650 lbs MAUW. So for us it remains an excellent cross-country machine and a joy to operate.
36gal = 216
Baggage = 100
Pilot/Pas = 300
Airplane = 1116
Gross = 1732

What did I get wrong?

When looking for a used RV6, be aware that many times the last weight was done with bathroom scales 25+ years ago.
How far off were the scales?
Was that before paint?
Before they put 20 pounds of sound deadening stuff in?
Before they installed the coms, GPS, ...
Forgot to have the seat cushions inside the plane (that caught me)

And for w&b, forgot to close the canopy.

What I'm saying... if you find a nice light one, don't believe the number! Even if the weight seems reasonable ... don't believe the number!

36gal = 216
Baggage = 100
Pilot/Pas = 300
Airplane = 1116
Gross = 1732

What did I get wrong?
Ha! Yes, sorry, I got that horribly wrong when I was doing the sums at home by memory instead of looking at the FLM. That should of course be full fuel, crew and 18 lbs of gear... which is sufficient for an overnight bag. Next time I'll take my socks off so I can count higher than 10.

:D

As noted above, I've seen large variations when reweighing aircraft too... not only canopy open but one machine was weighed in the sitting attitude instead of being levelled. Non-calibrated scales is a frequent problem or forgetting to add items such as headsets, oil and/or mandatory equipment which should form part of the empty weight calculation.

Mine is 1302#
It's really not a 6 anymore.

Longer fuselage
Thicker skins
RV8 tail
Bigger tanks
Beefed up wings
300 hp IO 540
heavy engine mount
bigger brakes

It takes a lot of effort to build a 6 less than 1000lb empty, many didn't realise how much effort when the build started and end up in the 1020 to 1050 range. As others have said a light airplane is so worthwhile and so rewarding to fly. It is usually possible to save some weight from an already flying airplane, it just takes time and costs a few $$$. Recently I got mine down to 1040lb from quite a bit more. I would set an upper limit, say 1050lb, if you can get one substantially less than that then its a bonus. If the limit is set too low it will take a very long time to find an airplane that light.
To expand on this, there are many places in the plans where it says you can choose to put in optional lightening holes. Brake pedals spring to mind... It's a fair amount of work and each place removes ounces, not pounds. But it adds up. I'm confident the original 6 had no primer inside the wings, tail, etc. Priming all that with a thick coat of primer is a quick way to gain 10 pounds. [My educated guess] Probably worth it for longevity, but you'll never hit the book weight if you do.

To expand on this, there are many places in the plans where it says you can choose to put in optional lightening holes. Brake pedals spring to mind... It's a fair amount of work and each place removes ounces, not pounds. But it adds up. I'm confident the original 6 had no primer inside the wings, tail, etc. Priming all that with a thick coat of primer is a quick way to gain 10 pounds. [My educated guess] Probably worth it for longevity, but you'll never hit the book weight if you do.
I don't think the factory's red RV-6 that Mike Segar toured for years had primer anywhere. The red paint was so thin it was translucent and I don't think there was anything under it but aluminum... That's probably a 20+ pound weight savings vs a fully primed airplane with a "normal" coat of paint.

Blaplante,
Your insight is spot on. I just weighed mine with accurate scales.
Mine is: -6A, o-360, CS Hartzel prop, Dynon 10" screens x2, auto pilots, shined alum (sans paint over metal), and I came in at 1084#.
At first I was a bit disappointed, but this is a very capable plane within the CG envelope. I knowingly added weight for functionality.
My previous -4 was 935#, so I am experinced at putting a plane on a diet. My-6 has a different mission.
Bottom line: I'm happy.
Daddyman

My six is portly at 1106lbs (not verified), but I wouldn’t change anything on it.
IO 320
CS prop
EFIS on both sides, auto pilot
Smoke system
Engine block heater
Very basic cloth interior
My mission is primarily xcountry for two people with one up for gentlemans aero.
Im a huge proponent of light aircraft but could never give up my equipment.

I would like to own a very light RV 3 though, I’m sure it would be amazing.

.RV6 - 1042 lbs
.O-360, Sensenich GA carbon prop
.VFR 2 GRT screens and autopilot, 1 radio
.Faux leather seats, no other interior upholstery
.Full 3-color exterior paint, internally primed.

-6A
1158lbs (a little porky)
But...
IO-360 w/ metal FP prop
Full leather seats & interior
2x screen G3X IFR package w/ 2nd radio & AP
Professional 3 color paint & primed interior

Back