What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 empennage build time

hcccs

Well Known Member
I am helping an RV-6A owner who toppled his machine on landing. One of the things damaged was the empennage and a friend and I have divided between us the task of building a new tail. I will build the elevators and the rudder. Since this is work payed for by the insurance company I'd like to know how many hours of work I can charge for these components. I'm near completion of my RV-4 but it was some time since I finished the empennage so I don't remember.

empennage

Hans,

Go to members list, find Chuckster. Send him a Private Message. All he does is build airframes. He should be able to answer your question.

Regards,

John Thach

There's a school....

....in Georgia that teaches students/builders how to build their empennage and it takes 6 days, ten hours or more a day, so that seems like 60 hours, if you know what you're doing.

They arrive on a Sunday evening and start early Monday morning, 3 students per instructor and live there as well. By Saturday night, they can take a completed empennage home, sans fiberglass wingtips.

Regards,

Pierre, I'm thinking that you did not build your RV-6A as your time estimate is low :D The RV-6A tail kit is not prepunched; It must be built in a jig and all the time goes into the layout. I spent a very long weekend building a replacement elevator (with trim tab that I cut out and then fabricated) for a friend a couple of years ago. I respectfully submit that it would be closer to 100 hours for someone who has built before. This takes into consideration the 'man-factor': Always takes longer than you think :) Rosie

Pierre, I'm thinking that you did not build your RV-6A as your time estimate is low :D The RV-6A tail kit is not prepunched; It must be built in a jig and all the time goes into the layout. I spent a very long weekend building a replacement elevator (with trim tab that I cut out and then fabricated) for a friend a couple of years ago. I respectfully submit that it would be closer to 100 hours for someone who has built before. This takes into consideration the 'man-factor': Always takes longer than you think :) Rosie

I think Rosie's estimate is valid. I logged 94 hrs on my RV-6 emp but I work fast and it would take a little longer if gathering tools and jig materials is included.

To Pre-punch or not

There are pre-punched RV6 Emp parts now. I know since I had to rebuild the rudder (an 8 rudder). I'm not that fast and spent about 20 hours (no glass) just for that- I belive the origional vert/rudder is also pre-punched.

Back