What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 Dragon-Tail Firewall Penetrations

LincT

Am looking for advice locating firewall penetrations. I went with Van's FF6 Additions so my overall firewall configuration is essentially the same as an RV7. I have a TMX IO-360 CS w/ standard updraft sump, Van's (K&N) air filter kit, AFP FI, mag on the left pad and for the other ignition, a Plasma III with crank sensor up front. Exh. is Larry Vetterman's x-over system w/ 2-pipe exhaust.

My specific q's relate to location of throttle, mixture, (Van's prop location call-out worked well), alternate air source controls (heated bypass, filtered & not), purge control cable, purge fuel line, manifold pressure fitting (& should my Dynon sensor be mounted on the hot or cold side of the f'wall?), holes for wiring connects between engine mounted ignition coils & cabin mounted 'black box', Dynon EMS EGT/CHT, and other sensor leads, ................ and any other penetrations I haven't thought of that those with experience care to offer.

Thanks much in advance -

I can't help you with all your specifics but I can give you a strategy. Start by putting the solenoids in Van's recommended location and the battery box as well. Now you can locate your power penetration (alternator, field, and battery). I ran my ignition wires separately because the bottom coils were clear across the engine compartment from the solenoids but with only one set of coils you might not mind running the RG-400 from the brain box to your power penetration and then back to the coil.

You say the prop location works for you (I agree, it seems pretty universal). I'd next locate the throttle and mixture by installing the control bracket(s) and figuring where they meet the firewall best. If you have any leeway, try to give consideration to putting the heat box in the Van's recommended location.

Bowden cables are easy to route and penetrate; I made my penetrations through stiffener angles to help support the cable. The alt air went through the bottom angle below the engine mount and the purge (AFP on top of engine) went through the top horizontal angle.

All the sensors, including the crank sensor, can be bundled into one or two bundles for penetration wherever makes sense. Those would be the last ones I make. The only fluid penetrations I had were fuel, in Van's location, brake reservoir, also in Van's location, manifold pressure in a bulkhead fitting near the top of the firewall, and fuel purge return which I just plumbed in a bulkhead fitting above the bottom engine mount tube near the right side. The fitting is a 90 degree inside and the tube inside routes along the firewall to the right side and then back to the tank.

I can't help with the Dynon sensor specifics. My engine pod mounts on the hot side but has it's EFIS connection and a MP connection through the firewall so no savings there. If it was inside, I'd have had left and right bundles (one big bundle for all the sensors seemed a bit much). Hope this helps you somewhat.

LincT RV6 Draggon-Tail

I have located much as you advised (solenoids, batt box, cabin heat, fuel feed, ...). I'll continue along the path you suggest. Thanks for helping me move past yet another moment of mental constipation! (BTW - If you know Jim Berdick of the SDL & DVT area, say Hi - he's the Tech Counselor who I started with before re-locating to CT - a good guy!)

Back