What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 Checklist

Geeman

Well Known Member
Does anyone care to share a checklist so I could make sure mine is thorough enough. Preflight, pretakeoff, emergency, etc. that they keep in plane. I want to get a real good one together and laminate for the plane. The one that the previous owner had was not all that great. Thanks.

I have one that fits on both sides of an 8.5x11 page, and folds like a sectional (W-fold along the length, and then a single fold vertically). You fold it out to the strip you need, and clip it to your kneeboard.

PM me with your email and I can send a copy. It was created in Microsoft Word, I can send that and a PDF. Even if the formatting in Word doesn't survive (for some reason different copies of Word always bugger things up) at least the PDF will give you an idea how it was supposed to look. :)

Last minute checks

For before takeoff: CIGARS
C= "Controls, free and correct" (Actually move the controls to their FULL limits, feeling for restrictions.)
I= "Instruments, set"
G= "Gas, on L/R tank, xx gallons on board, boost pump on"
A= Attitude: Trim and Flaps set.
R= Radio (proper freq.) and Runup, complete
S= Safety, Shoulder harness and Canopy

For before landing: GUMPS
G= "Gas, on fullest tank, boost pump on"
U= "Undercarriage, down and locked, 2 (or 3) green lights. (Or, down and welded.)
M= "Mixture, Rich"
P= "Prop, forward, (or "fixed")"
S= "Shoulder harness, locked."

The trick is to RELIGIOUSLY do and say the checklist OUT LOUD, absolutely every time you take off or land. Don't take off if you haven't done the checklist. Don't land if you haven't done the checklist. (You can go around, right?)

Checklist discipline, or the lack thereof, is the most noted discrepancy on my BFR (old term) rides.

Wow! This is my 3rd "soapbox" entry tonight! I need to get a LIFE! :eek:

Back