What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 vs RV-7

Gmanfly

I'm looking into building an RV 4 or 7 with my 11 year old son. But I haven't decided which one to build. I live in Keller TX and fly out of 52F. Is there anyone that would give me a test flight?? I will make a good contribution on Fuel!!!!

Ahh

Theres flying and there is building......

Building first...the RV4 is not prepunched the 7 is...HUGE difference in building speed, frustration, need jgs for the RV4 not for the 7 etc.

As far as flying the 4 is probably the sweetest handling, fastest RV there is...we not counting the RV3.

A better comparison is the RV8..which is pre punched..A bigger airplane than the 4.

Frank

I had a friend who started an RV7 but sold the kit after 7 month of working with it. He did not have the patience for it. That was about 5 years ago.
Since then all I can think is when do I make the commitment to build my RV.

I really like the RV 4!!!!

I figured that by the time my son turns 16 we should be finish with the project.

RV4 vrs RV7

I have a 4 and love it, for me it's the perfect airplane. I do mild acro on most flights and prefer to do them sitting in the middle. Most of my flying is solo and neither my wife or I are big. Having said that I have to acknowledge that in most ways the 7 is a more practical plane. It's easier to build, carrries more fuel, has more baggage room and the passenger sits in the first class section rather than in 3rd class. The 4 is lighter and, with same power, usually out performs the side by side RV's but not my a whole lot. With so much time and money at stake I urge you to get rides in both models before deciding.
Chuck Ross

future plans??

I know its early, but do you think your son will want to get a pilot's license in the future? The reason I ask is with the RV7 he will be in the front with you, right with the instrument panel, controls, etc. You can put rear controls in the -4 or -8, however he will not have very good visibility to the panel/out the front. I know that being in the front helped me a LOT at a young age. Being right beside you will give him a better feel for the layout of your particular airplane, basic use of instruments/radios, and he can see out the front and get a feel for takeoffs, approaches, landings, and what they look like. He will be able to have a more hands-on experience to flying, because he will be able to do basic tasks such as plugging in/changing frequencies, etc. Even the simple things can help him understand how things work when he begins lessons - it really did for me.

Good luck!

-7. The four won't be worth as much and will be twice the work. I have a -4 kit in my hanger right now, and built a -7 tail that is sitting there too. The -4 is a LOT harder to build, and a LOT easier to mess up.

First time builder? Build a 7.

First time builder? Build a 7.

Here's a glimpse of my 4 project. Keep in mind this is my 2nd RV and that my first was a non-pre-punched RV6A:

• I'm the third owner of this 20-year old kit. The previous two owners were both professional airplane builders at Boeing.
  • While assembling the fuse (which has been clecoed together at one point) I rejected and rebuilt at least 10% of the parts due to mistakes I had found in the previous owner's work.
  • The 2nd owner had rejected the firewall built by the first owener. He then built and rejected at least one of his own. The kit came with an un-started Harmon Rocket firewall, which I sold.
  • I built and rejected two more firewalls and built the third one twice before I finally got it right. (Actually, the 2nd one came out OK, but I ruined it when I drilled the pedal mounts to it in the locations indicated on the plans and then discovered the pedals wouldn't fit into the foot wells without scraping the sides.)
  • After drilling all the panels to the framework, I was checking everything out one last time before riveting. At that point, I realized that the barely legible, hand-drawn sketch of the fuse jig showed the measurement of the firewall above the jig to be measured to the TOP of the longerons instead of the intuitively obvious bottom. Therefore, mine was 3/4" too high. Oh, and I also discovered that the spar bulkhead was supposed to put a 1/2 degree slant on the wing spar, rather then being perfectly perpendicular, as I had built it. Half of the forward framework plus the two side panels had to be replaced to put all this right.
What I'm saying is that this kit is easily an order of magnitude more difficult than the 6 was, because of the poor quality of the plans and manual (which wasn't that great on the 6). And from helping my friends with their 7's, I can tell you that my 6 was easily an order of magnitude more difficult than a 7, because of everything is now pre-cut and pre-punched, and the plans are now wonderful.

The world has plenty of unfinished RV4 kits. Build a 7. When flying gets boring and you long to build another airplane, that's the time to try your hand at a 3 or 4.

Thank you all for you response. I'm greatful at all the detail information you all have given me.

My son and I already fly together on a C172 and he gets to sit in the front often. He says he wants to get a PPL as well as my 5 year old son. But I know that we want to build an airplane. With all the kits out there I'm sure I will build a 4 or a 7.

Jon, I think you really opened my eyes to what I need to consider. Not just to pick a design and buy it.

And yes I love the RV4 but also rv7

I think I just love RV's

Thanks again to all of you!!!

4 or 7?

Gino
You will spend a lot more time building the 4 than the 7, each have there learning curve. My first build was a 4, I took my time, found it was a challenge at times but it was a labor of love. I built an extra aileron and one elevator, I didn?t care for the way they turned out. I had some happy faces (the wife helped buck a couple of times) on some of the controls, I had the fuselage out of the jig in 2 months, I was working full time elsewhere, had a friend that did it in one month, but he didn?t sleep much. You will have to layout all of the holes on the empennage and the fuselage, but you can buy the wings pre-punched now. I have helped people build several RV?s , built one RV-8 tail with help in 5 days, the pre-punched stuff is great. I quit thinking about when it would be done or how long it would take to do things, I just had a moto ?what ever it takes?, and just did what needed to be done and it did get finished. I have flown most of the RV?s, except the 10,12 and 3. I had to sell my 4, eight years ago, I just bought a tail and wings to an older 4 , that is how much I prefer flying the 4. It?s not for every one and the 7 would be much better for training. What you ask is more of a personal question, but I do agree, you need to go fly one of each, do remember the 4 is more tailored to the individual and a little less generic in the comfort. I liked the way I strapped the plane to me, not me to the plane. Your friend that sold the kit 5 years ago, if he just kept working he would have been flying for a couple of years now. So, if you don?t build, what will you be flying in 5 years? My 4 took me 7.5 years, but I built 2 boys, put a roof on my house and there were months that I didn?t do anything.
What most people don?t think of are the spin offs that you get from building, everything you build or repair will be better built with more confidence. Building your own airplane will be a life changing experience.

The best of luck.

Randy

No Comparison...

If you're a builder as stated previously, build the -7. If you're a flyer, buy a flying RV4 for less than you can build a -7 and don't look back. 1500 RV4 hours in my own and flying ALL of the other RV models including the RV10 have shown me the RV4 reigns supreme (just below the Rocket:) as far as flying enjoyment and overall "Bang for the Buck" goes. After all, Van built the 3, then the -4 and stopped for many years as perfection was achieved. Every RV after that has been a compromise airplane to appease the market.

What does Van fly to work every day? An RV4...

My Dos Centavos...

Rob Ray
RV4, built, flown ALOT, sold.
HR2 re-built, flown 275 hours.

Last edited:
Back