What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 Rudder parts

If you're not in a hurry, I'll have some combination of tail parts, including rudder sometime in the future. I'm rebuilding my 4 into a fastback so I need to make some changes to the tail. I have an unbuilt tail, but I haven't yet decided what exactly I want to do so it'll be a little bit before I can tell you what exactly I'll have available.

If you're not in a hurry, I'll have some combination of tail parts, including rudder sometime in the future. I'm rebuilding my 4 into a fastback so I need to make some changes to the tail. I have an unbuilt tail, but I haven't yet decided what exactly I want to do so it'll be a little bit before I can tell you what exactly I'll have available.
Throw a RV8 tail on it. That is what some of the Rocket guys have put on the original Rocket instead of the RV4 tail.

Throw a RV8 tail on it. That is what some of the Rocket guys have put on the original Rocket instead of the RV4 tail.
But the Rockets have a six-cylinder engine hanging on the other end of the airframe. The RV-4 doesn't need to have the CG moved aft if carrying a passenger is planned.

This is some thread drift, but if you hang a 180hp engine and a constant speed prop, you added 70+ pounds on the nose. A 160hp and wood prop would be an issue for an RV-8 tail.
Things to consider that make the moment arm swing alot is getting a lighter weight tail wheel, ditching the sash chains and heavy springs. That can free up a few pounds which can easily be 10-15lbs in the moment arm.
Heavier skins (.020) and some extra counter balance weight on the rudder part can be offset.
A Fast back RV-4 with an RV-8 tail would be cool.

Back