What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 Rudder Mounting Distance

RVFan671

Well Known Member
References to drawings are from the USB plans.

Looking at the drawing for 7A (Rudder) and 30 (Emp & tailwheel attach) I don't see reference to how far the heim joints should be from the rudder to mount to the vert stab (at least to start with). I have been doing some work on the tail so replaced all hardware. The upper two bolts that go through the stinger mount and vert stab in section C-C of drawing 30 call for AN4-6A but I used AN4-7A when I replaced them because not enough threads were showing (I think they even had the thin washers).

I now have the tail of the AN4-7A hitting the bottom fiberglass faring on the rudder before I hit the stops. I'd like to validate the distance the rudder should be from the vert stab before I go back to seeing if I need to use a low profile nut on a 6A bolt or washers on the bolt head of the 7A.

I checked the USB RV4 plans - they do show the 4-6A bolts holding the tailwheel stinger weldment to the rear spar bulkhead with the bolt facing backwards (nut behind vert stab spar).

Later model plans (6/7/8/9) have these bolts installed facing forward (with nut inside fuselage) so they don't interfere with rudder.

Try that.

Last edited:
No joy

I checked the USB RV4 plans - they do show the 4-6A bolts holding the tailwheel stinger weldment to the rear spar bulkhead with the bolt facing backwards (nut behind vert stab spar).

Later model plans (6/7/8/9) have these bolts installed facing forward (with nut inside fuselage) so they don't interfere with rudder.

Try that.

Tried and couldn't get the bolt in facing fwd. There is a triangulation piece off the stinger that prevents a washer from getting flush against the stinger. Solution was a -6 bolt with a thin washer and low profile nut.

Back