What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 pilot size question

Sid Lambert

Well Known Member
O.K., So I sold my RV-7 kit since I have almost 0 time to work on it. I'd like to fly before I'm 40 so I will be in the market for a used RV-4.

One of my concerns is my size and how comfortable I will be in the 4. I am 6'1" and 200 lbs. I could lose 10-15 before buying one but I will bank on being 200 lbs.

How well will I fit and will I be comfortable? Any comments are appreciated.

I plan on flying to Peachstate Saturday, if anyone is attending and wouldn't mind me sitting in their airplane for a few minutes let me know.

Dunno...

....if you'd be comfortable though. I'm just under 6' and remove the backrest in order to not hit my headset on the canopy on my buddy's -4. I weigh 185 and I think that may be the limit unless you move the seat back a little.

If you're down here, you can try it on.

Regards,

Size not a problem.....

I'm 6' (& shrinking with age) and weigh 230 lbs. and I fit great! No kidding.....

I did move the upper part of the front seat back 1" and the bottom 1/2" back. Other than that it's stock in the front seat area. The back seat has had the Rocket Turtledeck done to it, so it's a bit wider at the shoulder and taller.

I used to fly an Acro Sport biplane so I'm used to a close fit (in fact I prefer it). I sold my RV-6A to go the "4" route.

Good Luck!

You need to sit in the airplane you are going to buy, outside with the canopy closed. I say that because inside the hanger the canopy can cause a claustrophobic feeling. Outside it disappears. With the canopy closed put your hand on top your head and check the skull to canopy clearance (variations on different builds). Check the range of motion for the rudder pedals. 6"1' does not usually cause a problem but a tall sitting hight with a low build canopy will cause a problem. Extra long legs, with the std seat location can be a problem. 200lbs on a 6'1" frame is not a problem. Little skinny girly men will think 200lbs will not be comfortable but it's not the case.

I am 6'2" and 220. I sat in a fellow Chapter member's RV-4 and was able to slide in just fine. With the canopy closed I had no problem. The owner said he would probably recommend going with a thinner seat cushion to get a bit more head clearance. He also had done the 2" back roll-bar mod. This helped a bunch. Now that I know I fit in one I am sure I can see one in my future sometime.

I fit OK

Sid: I am 6' tall, 198 lbs., with a 37 inch waist. I have a long back (I wear a 44 long coat). I fit in my RV4 with just a little room to spare. While wearing a Light Speed headset I can place my hand on top of the headband and touch the canopy with the back of my hand. That seems adequate. There are 2 1/2 fingers of room between the tops of my knees and the underside of the instrument panel. I am using fairly thin back and seat bottom cushions. So far I have been comfortable on trips of just over an hour. I haven't flown it longer than that, so far, but I think it would be OK for longer flights, I just haven't done that yet. I think the canopy clearance can vary with different builders on the RV4, or so I have heard.

If anything, I would like just a little more leg room. It isn't practical to move the seat back rearward because that would require moving the roll bar rearward, too, and that would require cutting the roll bar down to clear the canopy as well as making new anchors for the roll bar, not to mention crowding the already crowded rear seat. I might be able to lengthen the rudder cables 1/4 - 3/8 of an inch and that would be worthwhile doing, I believe. That depends on how much clearance is left between the rudder pedal and the firewall with full rudder control input. I think I have a little to spare but I haven't seriously measured it yet. The RV4 is a fun, fun airplane!

Thanks everyone. I did get a chance to sit in Mike Fouts wonderful RV-4 over the weekend. He had thick foam and a sunscreen on top but I did fit. It was closer than I would like but very doable.

I look forward to seeing everyone in the sky within the next few months instead of the next few decades.

RV-4 fit

Hi Sid

I am 5'8 so I like having the thick cushion but the builder included another cushion that's half the thickness. The sun visor is just held up with suction cups. If you went with the other cushion and no sun visor you would have another 2 inches of head room.

Good hunting!

Mike

Tight Squeeze...

Sid,
I helped a 6' 4' 220lb buddy buy an RV4 and he fit just fine with a few small mods. First, before he bought one, we fitted him into my RV4. He fit tightly but no problems. After the purchase, we made new seat cushions, then I moved the front seat bottom hinge aft 2". The new back cushion was 1" thick, the bottom was contoured to his posterior, roughly 2" thick on the bottom. We picked an RV4 like mine with a higher inst. panel and no center console. He has no problems closing his RV4 canopy and also flew the F16 with me, which was tight for him as well.
He wears a Halo headset, baseball hat with no button (VAF hat!) and converse tennis shoes and has at least 2" cranium clearance from the top. One sales point, the newer RV4's (post 1998) canopies are 4" taller than my old 1989 one.

Good Luck!

Smokey
HR2

Last edited:
RV-4

Hey Sid congrats on your brand used 4, I promise you will love it.

D.B.Cooper

O.K., So I sold my RV-7 kit since I have almost 0 time to work on it. I'd like to fly before I'm 40 so I will be in the market for a used RV-4.

One of my concerns is my size and how comfortable I will be in the 4. I am 6'1" and 200 lbs. I could lose 10-15 before buying one but I will bank on being 200 lbs.

How well will I fit and will I be comfortable? Any comments are appreciated.

I plan on flying to Peachstate Saturday, if anyone is attending and wouldn't mind me sitting in their airplane for a few minutes let me know.

Back