What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 owners question

pierre smith

Well Known Member
Good mornin',
Can an RV-4 be easily wheel landed with a 180 pounder in the back and me at 195 in the front, or will it tend to three point naturally?

Thanks,

It will tend to 3 point for sure. If you have a good size runway, you can usually coax the tail back up as soon as it touches. But its hard to wheel land a 4 with a GIB (Guy in Back).

Add 5 knots for the wife and kids...

Pierre,
No worries, you can fly the RV4 down to a nice wheels landing with any CG, just add a couple of knots, use 1/2 flaps and leave the fuel tanks above 1/2. I took a 230 pounder who helped me with my fiberglass for a ride back in 97' when the bandit only weighed 925 lbs. I strapped my tool box to the center console, filled it up with gas and off I went. Worked fine, a little light stick forces per G but flew good. Your mileage may vary...

Rob Ray

Thanks

Thanks guys,
Kinda what I figured as well. This is the easiest TD I've ever done a wheel landing in...so smooth.

Thanks,

another viewpoint....

I took a 206 lb passenger last weekend. We were 1" in front of the aft CG limit. On takeoff, when I began to ease the stick back, the plane crow hopped. It just touched back down on the mains and then off we went.

I could feel the weight the whole flight. I did some slow flight with turns at 70mph and it felt ok but really tail heavy. On landing, I decided to carry about 5 extra knots (which was a mistake). The plane started to sink in to an easy landing and as I eased the stick back, it pitched up on me. The pitch sensitivity was MUCH higher than what I was used to. The landing was ok (barely). We discussed the handling after the flight and agreed that with practice, the pitch sensitivity could be managed. But I think I'll go back to my limit of 190lb passengers.

I have read many reports of people carrying very heavy passengers with great success. All I can say is not me, thanks anyway.....

I have a 320/wood prop combo and 965 empty. YMMV.

John

tot he original point...

Sorry Pierre, I didn't address your question...

I am 180 and routinely fly with a 185 lb CFI in the rear. The airplane is a tad heavier than solo and you can feel the weight. However, it is still very much an RV4 and is still great fun to fly and stall and... whatever else you might be inclined to do. I'm sure you'll have no trouble with your passenger at that weight.

John

three pointer with aft cg

Pierre,

I have flown and raced my rv-4 with rear seat pax at the aft limit. A three point landing can be made but it is easier to wheel it by carrying extra speed. As you know the aft cg condition makes the pitch control more sensitive but with practice you will get used to it. The extra 5 kts or so is the key. I discourage 3 pointers with far aft cg sooner or later it will bite you.

When I race the plane I make sure its at the aft limit cg... it's faster.

Chris Murphy

Back