What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 Climb Prop

UTRVr

Just looking for suggestions for a Climb Prop for my RV-4 with o-360. I have a cruise prop now but mostly fly local. I would like to see the ground fall away faster for a change. Any suggestions on make, models, or pitch..
thanks .... Bill

climb and cruise prop

I have tried several different propellers on my RV-3. The most impressive change occured when I got a constant speed (CS) propeller. The LOM engine in my RV-3 wasn't set up for a hydraulic CS propeller, so I installed an electric CS propeller.

Take off roll is remarkably shorter. The angle of climb at maximum climb rate is impressive. A totally different aircraft.

Regards,
Jim Ayers

"The LOM engine in my RV-3 wasn't set up for a hydraulic CS propeller, so I installed an electric CS propeller."

What prop did you buy? Would it be suitable for Lycoming?
Thanks,

Prop me up...

Bill,
I ran a Sterba prop on mine (0-320) and my buddies 0-360 RV4 and both did great.Eds props are the lowest priced but most fragile as we trashed both in rain and my RV4 buddy JJ had one crack inflight.
My MT fixed pitch was the most durable of them all with great acro and utility with the SS leading edge and large, established company behind it. It is still on the RV4 to this day with it's new owner. The Sensenich FP metal prop works well on the 0-360 RV4 with 85 pitch but is noticeably heavier and isn't as snappy on takeoff or as good acro. I also liked the Craig Catto composite 2 blade alot, great utility. I ran a Gary Hertzler composite (best performance) but he doesn't make an 0-360 prop.

If you are interested in a cutting edge technology electric Constant Speed, the Vari Prop is one of coolest I have seen. In combination with Paul Lipps eliptical composite props, it could be your answer. If I had it to all over, I would bolt on a vari-prop and be done...Constant Speed rocks!

Vari Prop www.variprop.com
MT fixed pitch www.mt-propellerusa.com
www.mt-propeller.com/en/entw/fixed.htm
Catto www.cattoprops.com

Rob Ray
6 props in 12 years...

Last edited:
Thanks for the info!

I've been away from the computer for a week or so and couldn't check on my question. Thanks for all the input and links. I fly local mostly and don't mind
changing props for a long distant trip once in a while. Does Ed Sterba have a website? Thanks for any and all input. :) Bill

Ed Sterba

Ed lives near Tampa in Holmes Beach and is listed on Doug Reeves White Pages (I believe). Go to the homepage, select links, then look on the right side near the FAA database links for the RV Whitepages. I don't believe he has a website. Good Luck..

Rob Ray

Back