What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 battery location

AX-O

Well Known Member
Has anyone ever installed the battery on an RV-4 on this location? I want to move the CG as far FWD as possible because I have a wooden prop. Also, I want to use the suggested location of the battery for storage. Would like to place the battery on the firewall but I am running into some problems. I know it will have to be re-enforced but it looks doable. What do you think?

site1066.JPG

site1067.JPG

site1068.JPG

Battery location

Axel;

Thats the same location that I am putting my battery in my -4, and for the same reason.
The only problem would be when you went to change it, unless you can bend in ways that normal people can't:eek:
You could even place your solenoid under the battery, shorter wire run. It beats leld in the nose!:D

Mike
RV-3 N87LB flying
RV-4 N742MC building

1100 hrs later, Battery in same place.

Batt. between pedals, solonoid on firewall up 3 " left of batt.
Only problem I've had is access in jump start as area is enclosed.
Rusty
RV4 180/fixed wood
Rv 7a/ 400-500 hrs remaining

I have my battery on the firewall on my RV-4 using the Odyssey Battery. I wonder if you could use the smaller Odyssey battery in this location instead of the Concord. Might give you more room.

Axel,

I'm also building a -4 and noticed that your pedal brackets are somewhat different than what I have. The inboard and outboard backets look just like mine, but you seem to have an additional bracket as well. Is this per plans or your own creation? What year is your plane?

Axel;
The only problem would be when you went to change it, unless you can bend in ways that normal people can't:eek:
Mike
RV-3 N87LB flying
RV-4 N742MC building

You should be able to pull it strait up and out if you remove the skin just above it, the f-421 (I think that's the number) which is held in place with half a billion screws. :( As far a jump starting, you could do the same, or install one of those Piper jumper cable plug in adapters where you plug the cables into a remote location. As far as the location of the battery, it looks good to me.

Axel,

I'm also building a -4 and noticed that your pedal brackets are somewhat different than what I have. The inboard and outboard backets look just like mine, but you seem to have an additional bracket as well. Is this per plans or your own creation? What year is your plane?

The secondary bracket is not per plans. I made it because the current system seemed to need more support. I did not like the bolt having all that force and not be supported on both sides. Hundreds of RV-4 are flying without it. I doubt it needs it but it gives me peace of mind.

Another question would be if the new battery location would interfer with any of your control cables. I have seen throttle cables go thru the firewall behind where the new battery location is.

Odyssey

I used to have my battery in the place shown on the plans using the Concorde battery like you are planning to use. About 2 years ago I purchased an odyssey battery and mounted it forward of the firewall in a homemade battery box. It is on the right side of the engine mount in the cheek. I attached the box to the mount with adel clamps. It's tight, but it works. My CG moved a little forward, but more importantly I shaved about 10 lbs off the empty weight of the plane. Light RV's perform better. I would highly recommend you get an Odyssey at this stage of the game so you will end up lighter in the end. You'll be glad you did.

Back