What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3B / Wing end rib

pekuba1610

How did you fix the end rib at STA 108.375 ?
The manual says the end ribs are fixed in assembly with the W-322 aileron bracket. NO, it's not possible.
The rib flange is simply not wide enough to reach under the AN470AD4-7 rivets that fix the aileron bracket to the rear spar W-306. The red rectangle is the rib flange, the green line the centerline for the rivets. Furthermore the green line is exactly in the corner of the extruded aluminum angle. Minimum Edge distance for the rib flange is not possible.

Drawing 7 Detail"C"

My first thoughts were, to fix the rib with four AN426AD4-... rivets and then, when the ailerons are built, fixing the brackets according to the plans.
Do you think this is a good idea? I think I can countersink them because the reinforced spar is thick enough at this station.
How did you solve this?
Does anybody have a better idea?

Thanks a lot,

Peter

Peter, I placed one row of four AN426 flush rivets through the rib flange and the rear spar/doubler with the flush factory heads on the aft side, and one row just inboard of the rib flange through the angle and the rear spar/doubler using five AN470 rivets, factory head aft. All the rivets were -4.

The flush rivets just hold the rib to the rear spar, and the universal head rivets just hold the angle to the rear spar. No conflict, acceptable edge distance.

The rear spar and rib assembly occurred considerably before the aileron hinge brackets went on, because I wanted to locate the aileron hinges to the assembled wing.

Dave

Back