What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3B vs RV-4

In a word...........

.no. You will wear the -3, it's a nice snug fit. The -4 is alittle larger (at least mine is) but not by much. I am 6'2" @ 180lb. Both fly extremely well. It depends upon your mission, boring holes in the sky with a -3, or going cross country with a pax. in the -4.

Actually, I was more comfortable in my RV-3 than I was in the front seat of a friend's RV-4. I was about 5'10" and 230# at the time and was very comfortable in the -3, but the -4 seemed tight and the front seat sat much too "straight-up-and-down" for my liking... sorta like a church pew.

Even saying this, the -3 really does feel like you're wearing it... but not in an uncomfortable way. Best flying aircraft Van has ever produced if you asked me!

RV-3B vs RV-4

The cockpits are about the same with one notable difference: the -4 windscreen is much closer-in than that of the -3. One more thing: the manual flap lever of the -3 is very, very nice. Matter of taste, of course.

- Steven
700+ RV3 hours
(1 more hour yesterday!)

I tried on a -4 before I bought my -3 and did not fit in the front seat. I had to remove the cushions and sit on the seat pan to close the canopy. My knees were bumping the panel...but then I'm 6'-3 1/2". I definitely fit better in the 3. Nice thing about the -3 is that your face is not so close to the panel and your head can use the full height of the canopy.

Very individualized cockpits

I suspect there isn't a good generalization to be had in answering this question. I know we built our -3 cockpit to fit us and it's perfect. However, a big guy (say, 6'2" and 230#) would find it too cramped. The pedals could easily be extended, the side compartments removed, and the seat replaced with something thinner and allow a much bigger person, but they won't fit right now.

The -3 (and, I believe, the -4) aren't nearly as cookie-cutter as later models so you can't generalize on the fit very well. You just have to try each individual plane on.

MTC,

Thank's

Just would like to thank everyone who replyed to this thread. I did purchase a RV-3B and have to say I love it, What a great flying airplane. I think i just may have one I do not sell.:)

Choices...

The cockpits are about the same with one notable difference: the -4 windscreen is much closer-in than that of the -3. One more thing: the manual flap lever of the -3 is very, very nice. Matter of taste, of course.

- Steven
700+ RV3 hours
(1 more hour yesterday!)

Steven,
You can build the RV4 with manual flaps, (6,7,8,9 and HR2 as well) and I installed them on my RVX and HR2 kit as well. Sadly most current builders don't. Manual flaps have always been an option on all the RV's, except the 10 which I'm sure could be engineered.

V/R
Smokey

PS:I shared my RV4 hangar with a three back in the 90's and flew both airplanes extensively. My thoughts? Van didn't need to design any more, he reached nirvana with the first two...:)

Last edited:
Kinda, sorta?

V/R
Smokey

...............PS:I shared my RV4 hangar with a three back in the 90's and flew both airplanes extensively. My thoughts? Van didn't need to design any more, he reached nirvana with the first two...:)

Not according to my wife!:)

Best,

Manual flaps have always been an option on all the RV's, except the 10 which I'm sure could be engineered.

I make it a policy to (almost) never disagree with Smoky - we are pretty much on the same page on things RV - but putting manual flaps in an -8 would be a DIY engineerign job - the factory doesn't offer an option for this. I know of seevral folks who have talked about doing it, but have not seen it first hand - it would require some linkages and such to get a handle up to the pilot.

Oh and .... congrats on the -3B Celstar!:D

Paul

Careful what you speak...

Paul/Pierre,

Good call sirs, I must re-paraphrase my quotes:

Pierre, In my humble opinion Van shouldn't have progressed any further than the 3 and 4. Of course don't tell my wife either, one RV10 delivery was all it took. So....how much is a 10QB???

Also Paul, with incredible feats of engineering prowess and fortitude any RV could be configured with manual flaps. The Eight and Ten notwithstanding.

Thanks Gentlemen, I stand corrected :)

V/R
Smokey

Back