What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3B Stick/Panel Heights

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Here's a question for the -3 builders out there.

I was noodling around with the panel blank the other day, and realized that Van gave us an extra 3/4" of material at the top of the blank! When laying out the curve of the panel from the drawing template, I got to thinking that if we used all the material, we could have a little "taller" panel by letting the bottom edge move 3/4" lower - heck, it would make a little more room for switches.

The question, of course, is if that is going to give me stick interference. I would guess that the stick has to go under the panel, like on the -8, but I haven't mounted the mixer/stick yet. If it does go under the panel, will we regret the stick being an additional 3/4" shorter?

stick height

It might be a problem cutting the stick short because of interference with panel. If your C.G. is far forward due too weight on the nose ( ie. heavy engine and prop). Maybe, maybe, maybe you might need the longer stick for leverage in the landing flare.
[DISCLAIMER]
Please be advised that you are on your own here. The above information is ONLY an EXPERIMENT and there fore should not be taken to have come from an expert.

Manuel Gonzalez JR.
RV-4 (N146ZX)
IO.360, C/S Prop.
NOT FLIGHT TESTED

don't forget knee room when getting in and out..

I don't know how long the pilot's legs are, but for me at 6 feet, 2 inches in height, the bottom of the panel is one of several limits for solving the problem of getting the legs in and out. Depending on leg length, you may want that room.
As far as stick forces, I've always considered elevator stick forces as very light, but I've always flown farther towards the rear envelope.

Great pics of the canoe. Congrats on your progress.

short stick vs. long stick

Paul;

The stick on my -3 is cut to where it clears the bottom of the panel by about 1 1/2":eek:. This in no way afftect the handling or the stick force of MY -3, and I can't see it as being a problem on yours as well. The input forces are very light on the -3. I'm 6'2", and I don't have any problems getting in or out:D

Good feedback guys - thanks! I'm not really worried about stick forces in this context - just wanted to make sure I didn't end up somewhere that things didn't fit. I'm going to install the mixer and stick soon, and then play with panel height.

Paul

Well, I did the initial fitting of the mixer/stick bearings last night, and when all is said and done, the top of the uncut stick is 5.75" below the longerons. Since the stock panel only extends about 1.25" below the longerons, and I am only taking about lowering it by another .75", we've still got a few inches of clearance without cutting the stick at all.

Now we've got to get that seat pan cut and installed so we can sit and make airplane noises.....:)

Back