What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3B Panel Drawing- CAD?

KatieB

Well Known Member
Patron
Hey, does anyone out there have a .DXF or similar CAD file for the -3B instrument panel they'd be willing to share?

I would just use the plans plots to make one, but they're wrong. :rolleyes:

Methinks you would do best to take the existing panel from your plane, and use it for a template.

Katie,

I measured from the full scale drawing 17 and got these plotting points. This starts at the centerline and goes outboard.

That last number is at 9 inches out from the centerline. My notes have the rest of the heights as being correct.

Now whether this matches your airplane, well, haven't a clue. But these should fair reasonably well.

Dave

Thanks Dave! I'll check & see. It doesn't have to be the exact outline. Just for EFIS/Switches/Breakers layout. I'll trace the original to make sure the former outline is exact.

Hey, does anyone out there have a .DXF or similar CAD file for the -3B instrument panel they'd be willing to share?

I would just use the plans plots to make one, but they're wrong. :rolleyes:

That's because there are no two of them alike...same with the 4/6 as well. The only way to get an accurate dxf/dwg drawing is to use your existing panel and scan it with a CNC or something to get an accutate plot (we often do that for these airplanes when customers desire us to cut a panel blank for them). If you use someone elses outline, it may be "close", but I'll almost guarantee it won't match exactly. Those were/are a builder fabricated item, and as such each on ends up being unique. If you send me a paper tracing we can scan that with our CNC as well....

Cheers,
Stein

Back