What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3A cowl and c/s prop

DeltaSierra

Well Known Member
Does anyone know. Is the cowl for a C/S prop on a RV-3A any different than the original. I purchased a RV-3A with out engine that was C/S and I'm going with a Sens metal fixed pitch.

Also. The RV-3A designation is supposed to incorporate the rear spar wing mod. Is this correct?
Dave

Spar mods and cowl

If it's an RV-3A it should have both the rear spar/root rib mod and the main spar mod, aka Change Notice 1 and Change Notice 2.

Check this out:
http://www.romeolima.com/RV3hq/Info/info.html#WingSparBackground

Katie, I don't disagree with the "should" part, as the two mods both applied will get the airframe basically back to the originally designed aerobatic capability. However, in regards to the technical language, Dave you stated it correctly as the "a" denotes only the the first having been done (rear spar and wing root), so a 3a designation doesn't have any meaning in regards to cn-2.

Dave, If you are trying to understand the mods, get the packets from van's, rather than futz around with downloads. Personally I found reading the online resources confusing, the drawings that allow visualization are in the Vans packets.

On the prop/cowl question, does sensenich allow different sized spacers? If so, I'd think that would give an opportunity for using the cowl you have.

Back