What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3A compared to RV-7

celstar

Well Known Member
I have flown a RV-7 O360 fixed pitch for about 150 hours. How will this compare to a RV -3A with a O320 fixed pitch?

The -3a is going to be more responsive. Not twitchy, just lighter on the controls, even lighter than the -7. They both are a real joy to fly, but there is something very special about the -3. A solo tail dragger is a real cool feeling, and a challenege ever time you fly. No two landings are ever the same. Don't worry about the first landing, you'll do fine. Take is up and stall it a few times and see where the airspeed numbers are at. Do some slow flight first at 20 over stall, then 15, then 10 to get the feel of the plane. Get to know it, listen to what it is saying to you, talk to it, feel it. Practice a few simulated go arounds at altitude so you know what it is like to dump the flaps. Don't be in a hurry for your first landing, take your time and get to know the plane. When you are "comfortable" land it on grass. Work your way up to the hard stuff. JMHO. Man, I miss that plane! :(

The first landing I made in a -3 was the best one I ever did, never could duplicate it again, but I tired! 3 point landings were by the numbers, with the tail touching down a split second before the wings stalled. If you were carrying any extra speed she would fly again so you had to be ready for a little excitment, but putting the stick in your gut stopped it. With the extra weight of the 0-320 she should be balanced a tad better than mine, but that depends on your wasteline. Mine had an 0-235 with a well pitched Catto prop. It worked well togeather, although the extra HP you are talking about would be fun!

You fly the -3 until the hanger is close, and don't forget it!

RV-3a N66AZ is for sale in Columbus, NE, if anyone is interested send me an e-mail and I will forward it to the broker there.

Good luck, I hope I helped.

Last edited:
RV-3A flight?

Hey David,
Did you get to make that first RV-3A flight?
I was mainly a Cherokee driver since 1978, although I also have 125 recent hours in R-22's. I got a fresh tailwheel endorsement in a Citabria, then went to Pheonix last March and bought my RV-3A and flew it home. O-320, 160HP, 785 pounds, fixed pitch wood prop. (68x69, climbs like a homesick angel).
Coming off an RV-7, this is probably all typical to you. But for me, RV-3take offs are a great new experience. Trim to neutral, point the nose at the far end of the runway, advance the throttle, keep the nose pointed at the far end of the runway, and before you can say "Jack Robinson" you are airborn and climbing at 2000-2500 fpm. I'm at pattern altitude or better when I reach the end of the runway, and grinning like a fool.
On the first flight, at the seller's advice, I took it out to a quiet strip well south of the city and did 3 or 4 low passes down the runway at 80 mph to get the picture and feel for main gear contact and the confidence that came with it. It was not difficult. Then I did wheel landings all the way back to New Hampshire. 50+ hours on it now. Got the 3 pointers down nicely, tail wheel first by a bit. And the mild aerobatics (4G max) I do may not be elegant but they sure are fun!
The prop is definitely under pitched for best cruise speed. I have more power than prop in level flight. However it seems to yeild an unexpected long range capability if you are willing to slow down. Throttle back to 2000-2100 rpm for 5 gal/hour, go 140 mph, and you can go a pretty long way on 24 gallons. Push in the throttle and you can climb 2 flight levels in a few heartbeats. If a landing gets squirrelly for any reason, a sqirt of power has you airborne and climbing effortlessly.
Its a single seat, of course, but not having to attend to passenger safety and comfort and other inconsistent expectations frees me to really enjoy every flight any way I feel like it....
Thanks for giving me an excuse to describe it.

Back