What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 vintage differences

Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
Friend
Gentlemen, I have a chance to buy a complete RV3 kit for a reasonable price. The vintage says it all because it is complete with a fuselage tank. That is fine for me because I just want it to fly around (possibly no electric) and the 4.4 g limit is fine.

I can do the CN2 modifications as the wings are built. My question, is are there other significant changes or improvements in later kits ? Example aileron hinge location, bellcrank ratio, gear upgrades ?????

There are quite a few notes on my plans indicating changes over the years. The rudder pedals and their attachments have changed. The engine mount went from 4 point to 6 point attachments as well as the bulkheads to accommodate the new attachments. The cowl and other fiberglass parts are greatly improved. My kit came with the old style emp tips in 06 and when rebuilt my HS in 07 I got the new style tips. The tail wheel locking mechanism has also changed. These are only what I can remember off the top of my head, I am sure there are many more more.

Rob listed most of the changes I have seen so far. best I can tell, the primary fuselage structure isn't much difference - especially the ugly parts that are hard to fit near the rear spar/skin/seat bulkhead/stringer intersection. It is not uncommon to find a -4 part substituted for the original piece called out in the plans. I seriously doubt that there are two RV-3 fuselages alike anyways - there is a great deal left to the imagination of the builder....

Paul

Back