What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3: Using ACS A-920 Cables with Van?s Throttle Brackets

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
In building up the RV-3?s Throttle quadrant, I found that I really didn?t have the room to use the standard Van?s push-pull cables with the (relatively) large nuts that hold the cables to airframe brackets. On the advice of the ?F-1 Boss?, I went with ACS A-920 cables which don?t have the large ends that would get in the way, and built a ?comb?-style holder up the cockpit that fit really well. This still left the other end of the cables to be secured ? the ones at the engine end.

Cockpit end of cables (cut-outs have since been reinforced with doublers, and cables safety-wired in to ?comb?):
IMG_5055.JPG

The standard bracket?s that Vans sells are designed to capture the housing with that big nut, and again, that doesn?t work with the A-920 cables. I fooled around with this for a little while before coming up with these adapter plates that have done the job. They are pretty self-explanatory from the pictures ? you need to buy the ridiculously expensive Control Mount Clamp (ACS #10464) to grab the cable ? they really work! The bracket extensions are made from 16 gauge 4130 steel. (pictures are taken with temporary hardware store nuts and bolts, and I later tweaked the angles a bit to avoid the cables rubbing the horizontal engine mount tube)

Mixture Side:
IMG_5591.JPG

Throttle Side:
IMG_5592.JPG

Bracket with Extensions:
IMG_5595.JPG

Paul

Beautiful

Paul you do beautiful work! thanks for blogging the details.
we hope to se "Junior" at OSH before long, or
up here in Oregon if you want to stretch your legs...
Blessings
Jim

Back