What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 questions

N395V

Well Known Member
Can someone 6'5" tall fit in an already built RV3?
without significant modification?

I understand there was a wing spar issue with the 3A. is the fix for this onerous or expensive?

Are there any other SB or AD type issues with the 3A?

Does anyone know this plane>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Bs_7R_EWk_KGrHqMH_CcEvDk1hd_2BL6Eb_vf_12_Small.jpg

Thanks,

You might be able to fit if you remove the seat padding. There are quite a few videos of that plane on youtube.

Check out the SB's on Vans sites.

The spar mods are very well documented. I would not consider them difficult for an experienced builder. However, even after that is done, they still are not "B" wings and you still have a fuel tank in your lap. That was a deal killer for me with the 3A when I was in the market.

Van designed and built the 3A. He is at least 6'2 maybe taller.

It's not just height to consider/check

I got a note from a friend (and RV-8 driver) who recently did a pre-purchase inspection on an RV-3 and found his shoulders didn't fit when the canopy was laid over and closed. Plenty of room when the cockpit was open but the frame was so tight on his shoulders that he said he couldn't reach the controls. Paul and I immediately went out and each of us sat in our incipient RV-3B while the other put the canopy frame over. Looks like we're both okay.

I'm 6'3"

and I fit in my -3, you wear it but that is good.:D I have 1" of clearance from top of head to top of canopy. I also have an "a" wing with fuel tanks in the wings, no problems. I've seen the videos on you tube, nice plane.

So Milt, you gonna carry that thing in the baggage comp of the t28, as a "spare tire"???:rolleyes:

As the owner of that airplane, the question of whether or you will fit seems to be one of those, "you won't know until you try it" questions. I have people asking all the time if they can sit in it. Most taller guys fit, and well. The tallest so far have been 6'3" they both fit it well. Another guy 6'2" didn't. So go figure? It seems to be that some are long on the bottom or top, some tall guys fit and some don't. I put another video on youtube last week, Its title is Columbia Gorge RV-3A.wmv. I would post the link but I've tried and can not get it to work. You can view others by searching for videos by hawkpdx67. Find an RV-3 in your area for a fitting, or come and try this one on, I have grease!!
Ed Hawkins
N272DR

Last edited:
As the owner of that airplane, the question of whether or you will fit seems to be one of those, "you won't know until you try it" questions. I have people asking all the time if they can sit in it. Most taller guys fit, and well. The tallest so far have been 6'3" they both fit it well. Another guy 6'2" didn't. So go figure? It seems to be that some are long on the bottom or top, some tall guys fit and some don't. I put another video on youtube last week, Its title is Columbia Gorge RV-3A.wmv. I would post the link but I've tried and can not get it to work. You can view others by searching for videos by hawkpdx67. Find an RV-3 in your area for a fitting, or come and try this one on, I have grease!!
Ed Hawkins
N272DR

Ed
Didn't you just buy that airplane last year?

Yes, the RV-3 was on my "Bucket List". I've owned 17 airplanes (5 in the last 4 years) and have decided to get out of aviation. I have doubt as to whether I will pass my next medical so its time to move on to other adventures. This -3 is a great airplane, very basic, flys well and is safe. Its had the rear spar mod done and I have the parts kit for the CN-2 mod. I don't want to start the spar mod debate again, but I feel its not needed for my type of flying. I do "Gentleman" aerobatics. Its certified to do so, by the way. As far as fuselage tanks go, those Pitts guys seem to do OK with thiers! Seen a lot of leaky wing tanks over the years, hardly any leaky fuselage tanks! If anyones interested you can email me at [email protected]

Last edited:
So Milt, you gonna carry that thing in the baggage comp of the t28, as a "spare tire"???:rolleyes:

Now there's a thought.:D:D:D

Actually like Doug R, I kinda have the hots for an open cockpit 3 but I also really want a B model. Now that the RR is done my shop is empty but I need to heed Louise's advice and make sure I will fit width wise.

rv-3 spar

Its had the rear spar mod done and I have the parts kit for the CN-2 mod. I don't want to start the spar mod debate again, but I feel its not needed for my type of flying. I do "Gentleman" aerobatics. Its certified to do so, by the way.

Ed.
Ok, I'm with you on the "its not needed for my type of flying". Sounds like a reasonable decision an individual can make based on the flying they do. However, please educate me on the "certified to do so" statement. My Cessna 172 is certified but I suspect the only thing certified on the RV-3 is a few of the parts that meet a TSO specification, like a transponder or maybe a airspeed indicator, or in some cases engine parts or the engine. Not sure what you mean by "certified to do so".

best
Stan

Friend of mine used to have an RV-3, he's roughly 6'-5" and fit fine. I used to fly a friend of mine's RV-3 before he passed on and I had no trouble being comfortable...I'm stocky and wear a size 50 jacket, 5'-11". I'm more comfy in a -3 than a -4.

Stan
In its operating limitations obtained at certification to classify it an A model,(2004) aerobatics are permited at or below 1050 lbs. gross weight. Its part of its certification. Its also interesting that it is certified in the aerobatics catagory, but I fly it as if it were utility. I think your 172 would be certified in utility catagory also. I've done loops, aileron rolls and when I was young and stupid even snap rolls in a 172! Do not try this!! The airplane will do all the basic maneuvers pretty well.
Ed

Last edited:
Its had the rear spar mod done and I have the parts kit for the CN-2 mod. I don't want to start the spar mod debate again, but I feel its not needed for my type of flying. I do "Gentleman" aerobatics. Its certified to do so, by the way.

In its operating limitations obtained at certification to classify it an A model,(2004) aerobatics are permited at or below 1050 lbs. gross weight. Its part of its certification. Its also interesting that it is certified in the aerobatics catagory, but I fly it as if it were utility.

Ed, it's a confusing subject, but Vans requires an ?Aerobatic Limitations? placard referencing the Operating Limitations of any RV-3 which has not had both CN-1 and CN-2 mods completed, even though CN-1 alone is associated with the RV-3"A" designation. In this case, it should be operated per the Utility limits of max. 4.4G. Sounds like this describes your plane. If you do CN-2, then you would be allowed to remove the "aerobatic limitation" placard (if you had one). :) and operate per the acrobatic category limit of max. 6G. Your airplane is certificated in the 'amateur built' category, not the acrobatic category. Glad you're having fun with your -3.

Eric
You are correct, even though the FAA issued operating limitations show no G load information, I fly it within the Utility limitations of its certified "amateur built" catagory. Or is it certified Experimental (amateur built) Confusing, Yes! The Van's placard is proudly displayed! So far the most I've recorded on the meter was 3.7 positive and 1.6 negative. This happened in leval flight at maneuvering speed of 138 mph in a 3 to 4 second blast of turbulance I encountered going up the Columbia Gorge one afternoon. When doing loops, hammerheads or a split S it records about 3 G's even. Its really quite a fun airplane. Now if I could just see other traffic (my eyes are going) I would fly it more, until its sold. Fly safe.
Ed

Last edited:
Good, I was preachin' to the choir then...:D My RV-3 was exactly the same as yours I and did light acro just the same at 3.5-4G. Great airplane.

"Certified" doesn't apply to experimentals, since the FAA did no certification testing. All registered aircraft are "certificated", in that they have an airworthiness certificate. "Certified" aircraft just have their airworthiness under a "type certificate". Classification is Experimental, Category is Amateur Built. Now forget all that garbage and just go fly the **** out of that RV while you can! :)

Category/Designation is: EXPERIMENTAL.

Purpose is: Operating Amateur-Built Aircraft (Airplane)

Just curious - does this conflict with what the FAA shows in their database, when under Airworthiness, they list "Classification" as either Standard or Experimental, and "Category" as Amateur Built, Acrobatic, Normal, Utility, None, Exhibition, Transport, etc.?

Back