What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 oil cooler location and size

I am just finishing the baffling (0320) on the RV3.Thinking about where to mount the oil cooler,I have looked at a few builders sites and not seen a picture of a oil cooler.If anybody has pictures or information how and where you located it,also what size cooler you used.A friend and I have a RV4 will 6 row mounted on the motor mount with scat hose to it,hole in baffling is covered by a plate with a 1 inch hole in it.We have a small swinging door using a screw and platenut that can be adjusted to cover that hole.the door is now covering 1/2 of the 1 in hole.Oil temp is still low unless running WOT,I am assuming the 3's run cool also.Any info would be helpful. RV3BFB (fast back)

I mounted a large 6 row cooler behind the #4 cylinder. A smaller cooler would work fine, but my used engine came with the cooler. I also used the vans slide valve. My oil temps are alway in range regardless of OAT.

We used the Van's O-320 baffle kit and mounted the cooler in the "usual" place behind #4 Cylinder, with a little beef-up to the baffles (as most do). Standard-sized cooler and nothing special - she cools almost too well. We have never seen oil temp issues, and most of that flying has been on the gulf coast. Up here in Nevada this winter, I have struggled to get temps up where I'd liek them before take-off - need to block off a few inches.

Back