What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3: Oh Chute!

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
The last major purchase that Louise and I made for the RV-3 project was something that we ordered at Oshkosh – a Micro Softie parachute from Paraphernalia. We told them they could take their time delivering it - no use having to repack it before we flew - so it just came the other day. Dan spent lots of time with us at the show, helping us select a pack that fit the both of us comfortably, and the Micro was the winner for both of us. We wanted it to be comfortable enough to use as a seat cushion all the time (not that we will always have it in, but we didn’t want to NOT use it due to comfort issues), and replacing the Oregon Aero back cushion is not an easy challenge. We had him supply it with the optional sheepskin pad (to match our regular seat cushion, and then we asked the ultimate question – could the harness be purple to match our Crow five-point?

Well, you can see the results! It is far more comfortable than my old National 360, fits exactly where the regular seat back goes, and is packed so that it adds a little wedge down at the bottom, making the seating position in the -3 slightly more reclined. And yup – he even got the purple webbing!

Regular Oregon Aero seat back with sheepskin for everyday cruisin’:
IMG_6135.JPG

Micro Softie for those days when ya’ just gotta’ go wring things out!
IMG_6137.JPG

“If it’s not comfortable, it’s just going to sit in the closet!”

Paul

Last edited:
With the straps being the same color, I hope that the buckles are completely different and located differently - be a shame to unbuckle the chute and then jump out....

Aside from that, it's the nicest chute installation I've seen.

Dave

With the straps being the same color, I hope that the buckles are completely different and located differently - be a shame to unbuckle the chute and then jump out....

Yup - exactly the kind of thing we talked about with Dan - our Crow harness is a cam-type buckle - no way to mix it up!

Paul

Now all we need is Carnac the Magnificent to tell us when Mel is going to be there... :D
Anybody want to start a pool on when Junior leaves the nest? $1 per guess...1 guess per day limit, but guess as many times as you want...Honor system...all proceeds go to DR. Any takers?

My guess: November 12th.

Back