What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3: Magneto Switch Panel

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
One of the challenging (and fun!) things about the RV-3 cockpit is finding places to put the necessary switches, and having them both make sense and look good. We are at that point in the build where I have to cut metal, so it was time to nail things down. Through multiple trade studies, I came up with the idea of putting the mag switches on the little console real estate forward of the throttle quadrant ? they don?t generally need to be operated instantly (like you might want for the boost pump), but it is nice to have them handy. They fit fine (with switch guards) in that spot, but were a little hard to operate?but what if the panel was angled? Fortunately, I have a nice aluminum scrap bin, and it wasn?t hard to come up with a prototype which proved the concept, then a finished piece which I think turned out pretty nice!

After starting with a cardboard version, I laid it out on the aluminum:
IMG_4929.JPG

This little bit of Origami turned out to be easy ? nothing interfered with anything else!
IMG_4930.JPG

And here it is, finished and installed! (The Fuel Pump switch will be next to the autopilot head ? easily touched with a finger with hand on throttle)
IMG_4933.JPG

I love it when a plan comes together ? it almost looks like I designed the side consoles so that it would be this way! ;)

Paul

That looks nice, Paul. Are those home made switch guards?

No, they are new surplus. I got them at the Fly market at OSH this - one of the "tent" vendors from the Kansas City area...B&B maybe? wish I'd bought a few more. The switchguards I used (and love) on the Val are a bit wide to make effificent use of the panel space in the RV-3. This is almost a miniturization project!

No, they are new surplus. I got them at the Fly market at OSH this - one of the "tent" vendors from the Kansas City area...B&B maybe? wish I'd bought a few more. The switchguards I used (and love) on the Val are a bit wide to make effificent use of the panel space in the RV-3. This is almost a miniturization project!

OK, thanks Paul. I am at the panel design/agonize/layout phase. I like the guards that Perihelion sells, though the one-piece machined ones seem a bit bulky- still, I may well use some of those as well. I'm considering using a variety of designs so that I can more easily recognize switches by feel. I'll keep my eyes open for some of these.

Lars, the ones on my -8 are the same type as what Peihelion sells, and as I said, I really like them. If they fit, they really dress up the panel, but if I recall, you have to have about 1.25" between switches at a minimum.

Hi Paul,

Looks great! Where are you going to put your start switch/key/button?

Start switch will be over on the right side of the panel for the right hand, just like on the Val.

Paul , very nice ! What kind of brake do you use ?

Marc

I did this little piece with a hand seamer and blocks in the vice. When I have long bends, I have a neighbor's three-in-one Harbor Freight Brake/Shear/Roller to use. That's a great machine, but I'd hate to move it to our retirement home, so I'll use the neighbor's until we get somewhere else...

Paul

Back