What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 Horizontal Induction

UAA105

I'm New Here
Hi all, I'm on the wing phase but thinking ahead.

Has anyone fitted horizontal induction to their 3 using a snorkel similar to whats available for the RV7/8? I'm thinking along the lines of an IO320 with the superior cold air sump and snorkel so that there is no air intake on the lower cowl.

I'm planning to have a look at a local RV3 to see if this would fit but keen to hear any thoughts.

Thanks

I fit a horizontal FAB on my -3B. The key was buying an rv-4 scoop and grafting it onto the -3 cowl. Quite a bit of work but it turned out very nice. Search N59LG for images.

I'm doing a similar thing. I just picked up my IO 320 with horizontal induction from Aerosport. I was thinking of doing a chin scoop like that was on my rocket. The engine isn't installed yet, so not sure how much room there will be, but it's going to be tight.
Chris

I realized I misread your original post. A snorkel would be tough without some sort of bump out due to the tight lower cowl. It’s much more streamline and form fitting than the -7 or 8 cowl.

Last edited:
Back