What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3: Finishing Fuselage Wiring

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Well, I doubt that any airplane I own will ever be COMPLETELY finished when it comes to wiring (I always like to tweak a bit here, add something there…), but I am getting close enough to declaring victory on the -3 to post a few pictures. There are a few more temporary wire ties to replace with lacing, a battery hold-down to fabricate, avionics fan to install, and some final antenna wiring to be done, but I think that for now, we are going to put away the wiring tools and start planning on getting Junior on his gear and ready for an engine. With the prep work done (only need to drill firewall holes for the finished wire bundle and control cables), we should have things hooked up and ready to start slugging on the cowl and baffles in no time. A few pictures;

The best thing that Van ever did was redesign the -3 for wing tanks, leaving the old fuselage tank area free for avionics. Here is the “avionics bay from the starboard side:
IMG_0658.JPG

Note the relay decks from Aircraft Extras – they really made a neat installation for trim and flaps. The Aux battery needs a capture strap, but that is where it fits. The cable bundle for the engine is just draped over the firewall for now.

Here is the Port side view:
IMG_0659.JPG

The two Canon-style connectors are for the Caution and Warning and panel switches – disconnect those, a couple of pitot/static lines, and the D-Subs for the avionics, and the panel comes right out – about two minutes and its on the bench.

The top view shows just how little room is taken up by the G3X and Tru Trak boxes. And with them, the space they take up is mostly air. This is one LIGHT panel! (Yeah the avionics stack below it is not trivial):
IMG_0661.JPG

These relay decks will make it really simple when we get the surfaces on to reverse wires to correct “direction of travel” issues with trim if required:
IMG_0662.JPG

And oh yeah….I had forgotten that we were going to put in a rudder trim servo – and therefore we needed a switch! This was just about the only location I could find, and frankly, it works amazingly well! With the Fatboy grip, your wrist doesn’t actually ride where I put the trim switch, so it is an ideal location for not getting bumped, but being easy to find.

IMG_0664.JPG

That’s the status as of now – I am sure we’ll do some work this weekend – I look forward to getting to something other than D-Sub connectors for awhile….

Paul

Last edited:
Lookin good:D

Wanna come help me re-wire my plane???? Make it all purdy like Junior??

Thanks for posting these pictures. Us visual learner types need to see what an excellent electronics/avionics wiring job looks like. I think the hardest part with the wiring has got to be the planning and design work, then all of the parts procurements. Running and connecting all of the wires will be much easier!

Wow - very nice!

Wow you guys are making mad progress.

Your wire bundles are impeccable! Can't wait to see her fly!

Nicest wiring job I've seen yet, including military, civil, general aviation and spacecraft.

Outstanding! Especially with the lack of smoke.

It appears as if there was room to move that center-line shelf to one side. That would have permitted a small forward baggage compartment at the expense of access to the shelf. Is that what led you to put it on the center-line?

Dave

It appears as if there was room to move that center-line shelf to one side. That would have permitted a small forward baggage compartment at the expense of access to the shelf. Is that what led you to put it on the center-line?

Dave

Well, the truth is, I couldn't face the thought of building a forward baggage door (ala RV-8) from scratch! All those compound curves, etc.....And I REALLY like the "open book" access to the avionics provided by the removable forward top skin - probably would have taken a lot more work to have both that and the forward baggage. Maybe we'll do forward baggage on the next -3....;)

I appreciate all the kind comments on the wiring - I remarked to Lousie that I probably could have been done in about half the time if I wasn't trying to make it look pretty as well as being functional. The trick to pretty seems to be getting all the wires nice and parallel.... (and yes, I have hacked my share of spacecraft wiring....)

Paul

Last edited:
wiring

Paul,

Your wiring and placement of components is a visual work of art and almost makes me want to cry at its beauty. My one questions is how difficult will it be to both rivet that forward skin with all that stuff in place and secondly how difficult is it going to be to do any work on component access?

it looks like there are nutplates on the curve attach points for the fwd skin, and i think Paul just said it was removable- i guess the whole fwd skin will come off?

so between that and being able to remove the panel itself, i don't see how access could get any easier! just hope it doesn't leak!

Removable forward top skin

Working on this plane's avionics is going to be an absolute piece of cake. The only significant riveting we have left is the top fuselage skin aft of the seat.

Junior was fitted for legs and shoes this weekend and the fiberglass art has begun!

Very nice looking wiring job! I hope mine comes out half that clean. I like the yellow/black striped canopy pin guard thing - I think I'll be stealing that idea. Is it taped, painted, etched, homemade or purchased?

Latch Striker Plate

I like the yellow/black striped canopy pin guard thing - I think I'll be stealing that idea. Is it taped, painted, etched, homemade or purchased?

I kind of like the striker plate as well Rob - and it killed two birds with one stone. First, it keeps from scratching up the panel, and second, it hides the fact that it is hard to drill the "receiver" hole in the panel exactly where you want it the first time. In other words - it fixes a slight screw-up. I drilled the first hole a little "low", and couldn't get the latch pin to go in smoothly, so I over sized that hole, and made the striker plate you see. Positioned it with the canopy closed and latched through it, then drilled it into position (after oversizing the hole in the panel). Now I can accurately place the plastic block behind the panel.

The striker plate is .060, painted yellow, with black electrical tape for the stripes, and clear flap tape covering it. The flap tape is already getting buggered up, so I am going to put a thin layer of clear lexan or plex over it.

Paul

Last edited:
Looks really good

Beautiful work guys. I vacilate between being inspired and demoralized by the incredibly rapid pace you're maintaining on this most not-a-quickbuild of kits. :eek: In any case, keep up the good work!

wiring

That is right, I forgot on the RV 3/4's the canopy is a swing open design. I was thinking like the 6 or 8 where the front windshield is fiberglassed down to the front deck. My bad.

Love the new signature line, Rob

"The minimum number of planes one should own is one. The correct number is n+1, where n is the number of planes currently owned. This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of planes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

- Veluminati "

I so agree!

Back