What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3: Engine Control Brackets ? Making it Up!

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Last weekend?s trial fit of the engine to our RV-3 engine mount showed a few things that we needed to work on before we got serious about mounting the IO-320 for good. A few phone calls got the appropriate oil filter spacer, short dip stick, and assorted oil and fuel fittings on their way. The real work was going to be the control cable bracket for the prop governor ? the used one that came with our governor just wasn?t going to fit in the firewall recess. Check of the historical references (Randy Lervold?s RV-3 site) confirmed that he had the same problem, and ?had to modify it to fit?. No pictures though, so we took a few measurements from our trial photos, and began sketching. Here?s a shot of the bracket we had (it was of an RV-4). We needed one that was longer, pointed more vertical, and didn?t tilt as far back from the engine:

IMG_5305.JPG

A phone call to Van?s gave me the information that the bracket was made out of 0.063? 4130 steel, so I got a 9?x18? sheet on the way from ACS. The first thing I did in the shop was to make a cardboard template, cutting and fitting until I had about the position that I wanted for the cable housing end. I traced the end of the original bracket that attaches to the engine exactly ? no reason to mess with a good fit! I then transferred that to the sheet and cut out the rough form on the band saw:

IMG_5302.JPG

IMG_5306.JPG

Once I had the rough form cut out, a little trimming on the grinder and some bending in the vice with the help of a 4X rivet gun, assorted bucking bars, and a BFH produced a basic bracket:

IMG_5309.JPG

The first iteration copied the original bracket with regards to the cable attachment ? a dumb mistake on my part, since I wasn?t going to use Van?s cables, but rather the A-920 cables from Aircraft Spruce. These don?t have threaded ends and nuts to attach them, but rather a slot in the cables? housing end itself. Naturally, I tried a few different things to make the hole in the bracket work ? but didn?t find anything that seemed up to aircraft standards. Two Adel clamps came close, but the cable end rattled around inside the oversized hole:

IMG_5317.JPG

I finally dug out the little cable clamps that ACS supplies to go with their cables. Pricey little buggers, but they work ? as long as you have a flat surface roughly parallel to the cable. Of course, I had a surface roughly perpendicular to the cable. A little redesign made use of the fact that the bracket was a little longer than it needed to be ? I put in an additional bend in the right direction, shortening the bracket in the process, and drilled the necessary holes. A 3/16? space made things line up a little better, and after about 4 hours work, I had a bracket that I feel is up to AC43.13 standards ? and should fit the airplane!

IMG_5321.JPG

As always, building the RV-3 presents us with the fun and challenges of truly ?making it up as you go along?! We?ve been forced to get better at spotting ?unintended consequences?, and making sure that we don?t build ourselves in to a corner. For instance, see how the spark plug wires appeared on the P-Mag in the last picture? That?s because I wanted to make sure that we could get them on and off with the new bracket in place. Planning for maintenance and removal is always a good thing. Once again, I am glad to be building the -3?and glad I built the -8 first!

Paul

Nice work Paul. Minor suggestion.....weld up the notch in the stiffener flange. If you don't have somebody right there handy send it to me.

Nice work Paul. Minor suggestion.....weld up the notch in the stiffener flange. If you don't have somebody right there handy send it to me.

Good for pointing that out Dan - my welding person here on the field is out of town - going to get him to put a little spot on there when he gets back!

Paul

... Once again, I am glad to be building the -3?and glad I built the -8 first!

Boy, I know that feeling! Whenever I do any mods or maintenance on Smokey, I always find myself saying, "The NEXT time I build a plane, I'm gonna ..."

That's what this hobby is all about -- education and fun. When you've never built an airplane before, you sure learn a lot. Oh, how I would do some things differently, now that I have a little knowledge.

The first iteration copied the original bracket with regards to the cable attachment ? a dumb mistake on my part, since I wasn?t going to use Van?s cables, but rather the A-920 cables from Aircraft Spruce. These don?t have threaded ends and nuts to attach them, but rather a slot in the cables? housing end itself...

I feel your pain, but the somewhat obscure A-1760 cables have a threaded end just like the Vans parts.

In my case, I figured these would be a direct replacement for the -8 mixture and prop controls, but as I found out they have a different stroke and end-to nut-distance so I also had to build new governor and mixture brackets.

Looks good Paul. Got a part number specified for that yet? Maybe VA-300-PC? Or should I say PD-300-PC... ;)

Looks good Paul. Got a part number specified for that yet? Maybe VA-300-PC? Or should I say PD-300-PC... ;)

I suppose you could give it a VA part number Joe, but there's no way I could afford to make them for the low price Van's would sell them for, not at a couple of hours of work apiece...that steel takes some work! ;)

Oh, the reason I like the -920 cables without the nuts is that they take up so little space at the quadrant end - important for a -3 (that has no space...). Takes some adapting, but they really fit the DJM quadrant nicely.

Paul

what'd you do with the longer dip stick? If it would work with my IO-360 Superior sump, I may be interested in buying it.

Next annual I may swap out mine for a longer one.

what'd you do with the longer dip stick? If it would work with my IO-360 Superior sump, I may be interested in buying it.

Next annual I may swap out mine for a longer one.

Sorry - had to exchange it for the shorter one with Mattituck. Mahlon isn't finished with the engine until the customer is happy with the configuration!

I'm jealous of your dual PMags. They STILL aren't out with a six cylinder version...and I'm still waiting!

Back