What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 Cruise Performance

airdale526

I'm New Here
I have been looking at a local RV-3 that may be available soon. The performance material is a few hand written notes. It is apparent the aircraft has been used primarily for local flying. What might I expect in time to climb and cruise in the seven to nine thousand altitude range? I should add the fuel is a 22 gallon capacity in the fuselage not the thirty normally encountered. The Van's RV-3 site has some performance numbers but real world exerience might be more enlightning.

I have been looking at a local RV-3 that may be available soon. The performance material is a few hand written notes. It is apparent the aircraft has been used primarily for local flying. What might I expect in time to climb and cruise in the seven to nine thousand altitude range? I should add the fuel is a 22 gallon capacity in the fuselage not the thirty normally encountered. The Van's RV-3 site has some performance numbers but real world exerience might be more enlightning.

Vans' posted numbers are usually reliable:

http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/rv-3per.htm

Real-World Numbers

Old-school RV-3, carburated O-320 150hp, fixed-pitch Prince composite prop, fuselage tank, old-style wheel pants, Cessna-style air intake (Brackett filter), standard Slick mags.

I routinely use my RV-3 for cross-country trips of 1000nm or so (AL to NM or CO), generally cruising between 4500 and 9500 feet depending on winds and turbulence. For cruise planning I use 140kts at 7.2gph. I like to see over the nose so I generally set up for cruise climb of about 1000-1500fpm.

My fuel tank is nominally 24gal; actually holds 26gal. I plan flight legs of 2:30hrs (my personal sweet spot), with a max allowed of 3:00hrs. For me the fuselage tank is adequate - I'm ready for a stretch after 2.5 hours.

These numbers are optimal for my trips. I could go faster or climb faster (with more fuel burn), but the effect on a long x-country would be negligible because of time required for fuel stops. And on those days when the air is full of potholes at all altitudes I pull the throttle back. The RV-3 is a light airplane and you can get bounced around at high speeds in turbulence.

I'm sure I could improve performance with new pressure-recovery wheel pants, modified cowling with snorkel-style air intake, different prop (maybe worth 10kts combined?), and by adding a P-mag system (worth about 1gph?). But that takes time and money, and I would rather be flying.

Welcome to VAF!!!!

George, welcome aboard the good ship VAF:D

Good to see you here, enjoy!!

My RV-3A, circa 1992, has an O320-D2J, 160hp, swings a Pacesetter wood prop, 68x69. It is really underpitched, a great climb prop, making for very short takeoff rolls, 2500fpm at 100mph off the deck, and generally good vertical performance for fun flying locally. It has a 24 gallon fuselage tank. Given the low pitch, when I fly cross country, rather than fan the air madly at 2700 rpm at 180mph straight and level, I throttle back to 2150rpm and get 140mph indicated, consistently burning only 5 gallons/hour. Its quiet, easy on the engine, and I can cover more ground on a tank than my bladder can handle. Best all around plane I ever had.

Back