What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 Canopy Selection ?

Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
Friend
Would anyone care to comment on the pros and cons of Todd's canopy vs. Van's canopy for RV-3 ? I need to replace a broken one from Vans that came with the kit.

Todd's website says you can send him the broken one and he can make you a new one. I only see 1 RV-3 example on his site and it looks a little strange, probably bubbled up for more head room. But, I love the look of the streamlined -8 canopies he's done. If the boyfriend screws up his stock RV8 canopy, guess what I will suggest. ;)

I emailed Todd a couple weeks ago just to get an idea of cost on a new canopy. My stock one is cracked and I'm toying with the idea of a razorback, per the suggestions on this forum. :cool: He seemed very optimistic that it would be simple to make a custom canopy, and would not cost a lot. Maybe repost this question in the -8 section, since there seem to be lots of -8s with his canopies.

Last edited:
Our RV-3B kit came with a Todd's "tall man" canopy. Since we don't have a stock one to compare it to, I can't tell you how it stacks up to Van's, but I can tell you that it look like good quality work!

Paul

<snip> My stock one is cracked and I'm toying with the idea of a razorback, <snip>

Katie,
If you went with the open cockpit look, maybe you could use the part of the canopy that isn't cracked... :D

ip1v8g.jpg

Not suggestin'...just sayin'...

I like Todd's C

Hi Larry,
Todd's canopy is outstanding!! The tinted really looks good. Great guy too and the price was right.

Last edited:
Back