What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14A, pg 08-04, 1/4" holes

DonMcKee

I'm working on my RV-14A horizontal stabilizer, pg. 08-04. Yesterday, I final drilled the two 1/4" holes through the doubler/forward spar stack per step 4. My newbie brain wasn't really engaged, apparently, because I just eyeballed that I was centered on the existing doubler holes.

Now, I'm worried that these holes won't match exactly with the F-01410C Horizontal Stab Attach Bars that are final drilled 1/4" on pg. 10-10. Some options that come to mind:

1) Build on, final drill the the F-01410C attach bars when I get there, and hope and pray I'll be able to insert the bolts without much "persuasion" when I attach the h-stab on pg. 11-05. Or,

2) As in 1), but expect to need to do some additional match-drilling at assembly time in order to insert the bolts. This will result in less-than-perfectly-round holes on the attach bars. Or,

3) When I get to the point of drilling the attach bars, I could somehow try to cleco together the F-01410x stack (pg. 10-10), and use the front spar/doubler to match-drill the attach bars.

Are any of these options the "right" way to go forward, or is there something else I'm not thinking of (besides starting over, hopefully ;))?

Attachments

• PG08-04.jpg
    PG08-04.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 56
  • PG10-10.jpg
    PG10-10.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 56
  • PG11-05.jpg
    PG11-05.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 55
I followed the plans, but used a drill block instead of the press, to keep the hole straight. Didn’t have an issue. Bolts were tight but able to go in. I did use a reamer on the rear bulkhead, that worked like a champ. Those bolts were too tight, the head would not make contact (like fingernail gap or less), after reamer, perfect fit.

Hopefully that helps.

Back