What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14A Fuel Pump issue

dweyant

Well Known Member
Getting ready for the inspection and first flight on my RV-14A.

Went to test the fuel flow yesterday, and the airflow performance, mechanical pump does not seem to be working properly.

It is only putting out about 15 GPH, and the fuel is coming out in spurts, not as a continuous flow.

We have bypassed everything except the selector valve and the pump. Any suggestions on what else to try? About to pull the pump out (yuck) and try to bench test.

-Dan

Getting ready for the inspection and first flight on my RV-14A.

Went to test the fuel flow yesterday, and the airflow performance, mechanical pump does not seem to be working properly.

It is only putting out about 15 GPH, and the fuel is coming out in spurts, not as a continuous flow.

We have bypassed everything except the selector valve and the pump. Any suggestions on what else to try? About to pull the pump out (yuck) and try to bench test.

-Dan
Hi Dan,
I had to send mine back to Andair for an upgrade, it was an older Version 2. I think they are up to Version 7 . Look at the last number in the part no to see what version you have.
Photo below is of my old Version 2

Attachments

• IMG_4550.jpg
    IMG_4550.jpg
    632.7 KB · Views: 57
Finally got it figured out.

Apparently I had a bad (loose?) fitting at the fuel selector. Since it was the high point it wasn't leaking, but it was letting air get into the line. Everything within spec now, and managed to get the first engine run done before the weather got bad!

-Dan

Finally got it figured out.

Apparently I had a bad (loose?) fitting at the fuel selector. Since it was the high point it wasn't leaking, but it was letting air get into the line. Everything within spec now, and managed to get the first engine run done before the weather got bad!

-Dan
Cudos Dan for rechecking the install. Great example of finding an issue then troubleshooting to find the cause. I'll bet most of the instances of supposed fuel flow or starvation are from loose connections. AFP has a fabulous pump, and in all my years of dealing with them, I havent heard of a pump failure. Not to say it may or may not have occured, but if it has its a very rare situation. Good job!!
Tom

Version #8 is the latest and actual one ...

They had an issue with Ethanol mix fuel (resistance of internal parts), and needed to upgrade.

See Andair's service page: Service Alerts

Back