What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14A #141062

RayJay

Hello all, I am unexpectedly building my first RV! I say unexpectedly because, while I always knew I would build one eventually, I did not expect a deal on a kit to pop up within driving distance of me that I decided I couldn't pass up, but it did, so here I am. I picked up kit #141062 a couple of weeks ago, and now I'm waiting on a local hangar to move stuff into to make space to work. I'm told a couple should be opening in a month or so, so here's hoping it won't be a long wait.

Initial.jpg
Tucked away while I wait for space.

In the meantime, I've been getting sorted with what I have, and started working on the Vans practice kits. I'm only just starting, but I already have a couple of questions.

The previous builder finished the empennage and got the wings finished up to the top skins. The last thing he did was start prepping for building the fuel tanks. I'm not sure if I want my first build task to be the fuel tanks, and I'm wondering if there's any reason I shouldn't skip the tanks and work on a smaller part like the ailerons or flaps first.

The second question is about identifying laser cut parts. The seller said there were no laser cut parts in the built sections and had the replacements for ones that were still in the kit, but I'm not sure was an accurate statement. Almost true, but not quite. Luckily, the empennage looks to have been packed just before the LCPs were introduced, like days before, and everything in it looks good, but the wing kit definitely had some in the kit, and I think the two inboard wing ribs that are "recommend replace" are LCP. See pics below.

Wing Root Rib.jpg
The part in question

Wing Root Rib Holes.jpg
It's hard to tell if the primer is making me see things, but zooming in to these holes it looks to me that this is a laser cut part. It seems to have all the tells that Vans has in their identification document. Out of round, protrusions, etc. Am I looking at it right?

As a reference, below is the empennage bulkhead, another potential LCP.
Empennage Bulkhead.jpg
Much nicer. Very round, and I think I can see slight rounding of the edge due to the punch.

Luckily, these seem to be the only parts of concern in the build, and since the bottom skins aren't on the wing, replacement will be relatively minor. Unfortunately the rib with the flap mount doesn't have any exposed holes to inspect, so I can't be sure what it is one way or another, but I'll replace it, just in case.

That's where I'm at. Thanks for reading.

...I'm wondering if there's any reason I shouldn't skip the tanks and work on a smaller part like the ailerons or flaps first.
After "finishing" the empennage and fuselage and now working on the wings (and more specifically, the fuel tanks), I wouldn't start on the fuel tanks. To improve your odds of leak free tanks, I would recommend getting some experience by building things that won't leak fuel if you make a mistake.

And it does appear you may have some laser cut parts. Hard to tell for sure but those holes sure look familiar to me (I had LCP's in my wing kit).

Good luck and have fun building!

Back